1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe there's such a thing as being too old to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by teluphone, May 13, 2013.

1. teluphone

I understand that coming out is different for every individual but i can't help but hearing whenever someone says "something something age is considered to be very old to come out" especially with more and more younger aged individuals coming out with the gradual acceptance of LGBT in society, not sure if its only applicable to certain countries like the US/Canada since this is definitely not the case over here.

2. Candace

Nope. you're never too old. It's just that some times are easier than others. Like being 19 verus 39.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. At least in theory, I don't see there being an age "too old."

It would be interesting if we eventually got someone on here who's in his or her 80s or 90s!

I won't argue that it's easier for a 19 year old to come out than a 39 year old. But I don't think it is necessarily a function of age as such. The bigger problem, to my mind, is that the 39 year old of today grew up in a different era when it was less OK to be gay than the era 19 year old grew up with. Also the 39 year old is more likely to have other issues, like being in a straight marriage with kids.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can be 82 and come out.

Now, if you've lived most of your life in the closet you'll have missed out on a lot, but it's never to late to find a bit more happiness than you'd find if you never came out at all.

5. Trailblazer

Coming out isn't really something with an age restriction. There's too many factors that can come into play to hold off doing something like coming out. Of course the sooner the better to try and be true to yourself but there isn't a rush at all no matter your age and you should never feel st any point that it is too late.

6. Femmeme

No.

It is never too late to start living an honest life.

We have posters here in their 50s and 60s who are just coming out and there are people even older.

The Movie Beginners is the true story of a man coming out at the age of 75.

There is no such thing as too late.

7. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I'm 45.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my friends came out at 68. He's 74 now and loving life more than he ever has.

9. Dans le placard

There are various factors that may keep people from coming out the closet, but I don't think age is particularly a major factor (at least with regards to people older than 18).

10. Goodnyte

There is no such thing as being too old to come out. There are many factors that contribute to coming out. Sometimes these factors push you to still be in the closet, hanging out with Aslan, even as you hit the "old" years of life and being middle aged. It all just depends.

11. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe it's never too late or too early to come out. However, when I first was coming to terms I thought that since I was getting closer and closer to my mid twenties, that I was too late, and that I wished I was able to come out and be honest with myself much earlier. But then I came here and realized that it's never too late. Some people know early on, and others it takes time to figure that out. I was one who took time, and I'm glad I did and am not rushing myself.

12. No. The fluid nature of sexuality makes it impossible for us to set an age limit on the self discovery.

13. deboo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hope it's not too late. :slight_smile: I'm in my early 40s and am finally accepting that I'm gay. Am slowly, methodically coming out to friends, and hope to also come out to family soon too. It's finally great to feel now that others truly know me.