1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

easy ways to tell your parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dannyboy15, May 14, 2013.

1. dannyboy15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just started telling people i'm gay a few months ago. so far everyone's been pretty accepting of it, but i still haven't told my parents cause i'm literally terrified to do.

It's mostly my mom that i'm afraid to tell. She's catholic and always goes on long rants about how she thinks being gay is a choice, and she also thinks gay people only want relationships for sex. when in reality, it ain't true at all. we wanna be loved just like any other relationship! i'm really afraid that if i tell her things will get extremely awkward at home and i might even have to move in with another person for awhile. anyone have any tips on how to tell her and what to do?

2. Dayon

Dayon Guest

You just have to be straight up about it and not beat around the bush. They're no tips on how to come out to anyone. If you're sure about everything & confident about it, then let loose and tell them. Mom will live. Believe me lol... Keep me posted & let me know how things go.

3. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone is gonna have a different way of doing it. Personally i'm not going to until i'm in a relationship for a few months.

4. wanderinggirl

I hate hate hate that peoples' minds automatically jump to the sex part. I used to id as straight and have been feeling more and more like I might be lesbian; but for me it's not the sex, I am attracted to both equally. I just don't feel fireworks with MOS as much as I do with people of my same gender. Once i tried coming out to my mom; I brought up my lesbian friend, and she said she doesn't understand how a woman can be wiht another woman and isn't it gross and yadda ya... my point is, i get why that makes it difficult. I would probably start off with something like "I'm in love with a guy" or "I want to marry a guy someday", leading off in a way that shows you're committed. Gahhh I hate that queer people almost have to apologize for promiscuity.

I'm sorry though; I don't have any advice on coming out to a very religious parent. Me, I'm probably going to shove it in my parents' face if they dont accept it, but I already live on my own. You should make sure you have somewhere safe to go to in case things go south; maybe to someone else to whom you're already out. Or maybe it won't go so bad. Maybe if you explained that it's about feelings she'd understand? I don't know her, so I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt but I know that that can be a naive point of view. Some people may not change their homophobic views, as hurtful as it may be. A counselor who is experienced in this area might be helpful to talk to, if you can find one in your area.

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

You know somebody she will trust more than you when they say; "it's not a choice".?

You haven't been a parent yet. Parents know when their child speaks from their heart.

Luckily, in today's world even being gay will not stop you from personally learning that lesson about parenthood.

Parents love you. Period.

6. Candace

Send them a letter. It avoids a lot of drama, and you can prepare what to say more easily.

7. dannyboy15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm actually gonna go with the letter idea. I got it all planned and I'm gonna tell them tomorrow. Hopefully it works out :$

8. BlueBear

I would start the conversation with asking your mom if she loves you for who you are.. not who she needs you to be and see how that goes first.