1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living the straight life?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by musinglizzy, May 15, 2013.

1. musinglizzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm still trying to get settled in here on EC...I don't really know anyone yet, but hear it can be quite the close knit family type group. Hoping I find my spot myself!

I'm just feeling really down the past couple of days....sad, lost....

I would love to hear from people who are just like me. Gay feelings, but living the straight life. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable coming out to anyone...but I sure have my crushes, and it just kills me to no end. I want what I can't have...womanly companionship. Close straight and single friends.... but sometimes I feel like I come on too strong, or that it could appear that way. But it doesn't appear that they're getting an impression I don't want.

I'm very huggy, cuddly, touchy, kissy... but don't think it's gender specific, as there are a few guys I'm that way with too. But with the women...I KNOW I enjoy it too much.

I'm living a lie. And I feel like I will always live a lie....because I'm too scared to act on my feelings. Anyone else going through this?

Liz

2. Kahne5

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Life is short and your happiness matters, it took me a long time to realize I wasn't living my life to my fullest because I held back who I truly am. It really questioned my core of being because if I wasn't truly me or 100 percent sincere how can I expect all in my life to give 100 percent to me. I became broken with face and mask after mask where even to this day I question who the hell I am. But to me the most important thing to do I live by the moment and go with the flow safely of course but you life is yours to master and your happiness matters as you and your life matter!! Stop holding back because to me it sounds like you are done placing the chains on you and your soul. Idk I'm not an expert but I have personally witness how we are here today and gone tomorrow and each moment we have is the true honor and blessing. With that said my advice is stop caring about what others think and just be you and no need to label anything I tell people I am Isexual with my iPhone lol but truly get out there for you and nobody else! My outlook which is a bit grim is like this... When I die I want to know I did the best I could with my time on this rock, and that's how I live in the right now! Best to you Liz I hope you find what you are seeking and I hope you find someone that gives you all the love you give out!

3. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Liz,

Please, let me assure you that you are not alone in this. I'm 42 and am just now in the process of coming out. I've known I'm gay my whole life, and I've repressed it to varying degrees until now. My whole life until now, I've lived "the straight life."

And why? It's not pretty, but the truth is it was more convenient to do so. It was easier, and not admitting I was gay meant not having to take responsibility for my life, not in ways that really mattered.

So why now? Because not living an authentic life has become intolerable. I simple refuse to not be myself and honor who I really am. I realize this may mean spending the rest of my life single, but it's worth it to no longer be hiding, from others and myself.

It sounds like you're at or close to the same spot in your life. All I can tell you is that only you know what you're able and willing to tolerate. It sounds like "living a lie" has become intolerable for you.

Let me ask you--what are you afraid of? You say you're afraid to express your true feelings. Why? In your mind, what is the worst thing that could happen? And is that thing worth keeping your feelings hidden and continuing to live a lie?

Only you can answer these questions, Liz, and there is no right or wrong answer. But I'm a proponent of making active choices in life. Stay in or come out--the choice is yours, but make a thoughtful decision to do one or the other--don't let yourself drift into one or be pushed into another. And if you stay in, you can always revisit the situation and choose again.

I know this is painful. You are not alone. Please feel free to add me to your friend list if I can be of any help. It sounds like we're in much the same place in life.

--Zoe

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a guy who goes to rock concerts, burlesque shows and full-contact sporting events. I wear a T-shirt and jeans 360 days a year. I hang out with everybody from rock musicians to pro athletes.

And I'm out. To everybody.

Coming out doesn't mean swapping your "straight life" for "gay life". It just means being honest with yourself and with others. I've never had anybody give me much grief for being gay. Not even my cousins in Fond Du Lac. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Very Much :icon_sad: but I am trying to change it, I appear Straight & to most people & family in all intentions & purposes, I am living a Straight life, but inside is this Gay Guy screaming to come out, on EC I can be me Mark the Gay Guy, I am dropping little hints all the time, I wear my Rainbow Gay Pride Bracelets & I bring up Gay subjects when I can, if what happened at work today is anything to go by, it maybe working Lol (*hug*)