1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to a homophobic friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Thomas94, May 16, 2013.

1. Thomas94

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I've finally started telling 3 of my closest friends that I'm gay and the next few people I want to tell I'm not sure how they'll react. One is slightly homophobic as in he doesn't like other guys touching him and doesn't really get the 'gay thing'. and the other friend I have absolutely no idea how he'll react. I'm planning on going for a drive with the last mate and take one of my closest friends who I've already to help out if things go pear shaped, but do you think that's a good idea? and any tips on how to tell a slightly homophobic guy you're gay?

thanks for listening.

2. Candace

Best of luck to you, mate! I'm sure that since he's your friend (and has the maturity of at least a seven year old), then he'll see you as he always has and will not change your relationship with him.

Just tell him that you want to be friends still and that you value his friendship highly. Realise that you trust him so much with that information. It must be an honour for him! Out of everyone on this planet, you tell HIM you're gay. He should be happy for you because you confided information with him and are being your true self. That's all I can say on this subject. Take care :slight_smile:

3. BlueBear

If you reassure him nothing will change and he can't handle it then he wasn't a friend to begin with.

4. Thomas94

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks guys. I'm probably gonna wait a bit longer until i tell them, maybe tell a few other people first. Thanks for the advice though!