1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to "un come out" to parents/family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by damsel, May 16, 2013.

1. damsel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Long story short, my parents and family think I'm a lesbian. I came out as a lesbian about 7 years ago, but have since realized that I was way off. In reality, I prefer men. Not sure if I am bisexual with a preference for men, or actually straight (still trying to figure that out). On the one hand, I'm not sure it's actually any of their business, but at the same time I think it would be kind of weird to hide it only to spring it on them later ("Oh btw I have a boyfriend/am engaged/pregnant/etc"). Any and all advice is appreciated :slight_smile:

2. wanderinggirl

sexuality is fluid; i'm sure you've heard that. when the time is right you can talk to people about it. if i were in your situation i would think that the hardest part would be feeling like i'm being taken seriously. i would want to say something like "it wasn't just a phase, it was actually who i was for a while, but i am in a different place now". the people who really listen to you will understand. and hey, we don't need no stinkin labels, but would you maybe want to id as "queer"? just a thought. the whole fun of being queer (by which i mean non-heterosexual and/or non-cis-gendered, if that's how you identify) is that you get to be freer, not more constricted, genderwise, in your dating choices. amiright?

3. BlueBear

My brother-in-law who has been gay all his life fell in love with a woman and got married. I think you parents will figure it out. It is coming out as gay that confuses them. Now if you want your parents to keep your years as a lesbian a secret than you have something to work out with them.