1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to Siblings, Friends or Parents first?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by doors, May 18, 2013.

?

Out to siblings, friends, o parents first?

1. Sibling(s)

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Friend(s)

50 vote(s)
    86.2%
  3. Parent(s)

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. doors

I'm curious to who people came out to first. For me it was, my sister then my friends and I'm not out to my parents.

2. MixedNutz

Friends, then sister, then my mother... My father still doesn't know.

3. BlackSwan

I'm actually only out to some friends. I guess next step are going to be my sisters...

4. Fisnou

first closest male friends, then closest female friends, parents, then other less close friends. Not out to my bro or the extended family yet.

5. BlackSwan

The first one was my male best friend..I was 100% sure was going to be supportive

6. some nights

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Best friends, then most other friends, then brother, then close aunt, then parents for me. Working on the extended family now !! :slight_smile:

7. Rewritten Role

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I confided in a couple friends first, then told my parents and sister at the same time. The hard part came next...telling my husband of 13 years.

8. NeonMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Oh, I thought you were asking whom to come out first. I voted friends xD

But yeah, once find my *true* self, I will most probably tell my friends first.

9. The Dude

First four friends, then one of my two brothers...not in any rush to tell my parents

10. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Friends, then my mother read my mail and found out. I would have told my father next. I told another gay family member as soon as possible - not sure if it was before my mother found out. I never told my brother and since I'm bi now and with a man, it didn't seem worth the hassle to mention it. I don't know if he ever figured it out when I was involved with women.

11. I told my circle of friends first, and then my sister and her bf. My parents are clueless.
    I find it easier to tell your friends first so you have a support group.

If you have siblings, then tell them if you know they are accepting towards the LGBT community. It's better if they are older, because if your parents are throwing a tantrum about you being LGBT, your siblings could possibly calm them down.

If your parents are blatantly accepting or they're gay in the first place, then they should be the first ones to know.

12. SilverGirl

friends, i have no siblings, and i only live with my mother, im not out to her yet but im pretty sure its not going to take long to be out to her

i do have 4 or 5 half siblings, all male, and all younger than me, never met any of them, my father sure is being busy haha

13. jimL

Friend, next day my brother, lots of friends and then parents (the hardest)

14. Fiddledeedee

Sibling first, because I knew his response would be somewhere on the scale of positive to apathetic. Then friends -- about ten people one-to-one, followed by everyone at school. One parent later that year, and not the other one for some time yet.

15. hyperaware

hyperaware Guest

I came out to my friend first. I believe friends take the news better than relatives, at least in my case.

16. I came out to my mother first via email. Once I sent my mom the email, I decided to message a friend on facebook to tell her as well, because I knew she wouldn't care and I needed someone to be supportive in case my mother didn't react well. Turns out, I didn't need to worry. These are the only two I've come out to so far.

17. JuvenileSuccess

I came out to my best friend first (I blurted it out unintentionally to her in the middle of a law class but she was very supportive) I came out to both my siblings next (they're both younger than me but we've always been very close) and they were great- not making a Big Deal of the fact I was Bi, but still accepting it. I then came out to a select group of friends before plucking up the courage to come out to my mother. After I'd came out to both parents I came completely out.

18. Tokgay

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think from the reactions here we can see that most people have answered friends. In my case this is also true. I'm out to eleven people now, and the first of those was a friend who came out as being gay last summer.
    That set me on the 'confrontation with myself path', and I started telling friends one by one first (3 more). We had a cocktail night and I told the rest of that group, bringing the total up to 9. One of these people is my twin brother, who has the same friends as I do. I don't think I could have told him one on one, but this turned out quite well.

I think parents are the hardest because you know them so well, and you have a certain routine together. You'll also change the whole way they see you, and your future, which is a big thing! This is why I haven't told mine yet, although I'll probably do so soon...

19. EddyG

wife first... then kids, then friends, then siblings, then parents.