1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come out? Aye or Nay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Goodnyte, May 19, 2013.

1. Goodnyte

Obviously this is about coming out.

I am thinking about coming out to my mom and my mom only. I was thinking about doing it this summer. I have Duke TIP for 3 weeks and there is limited cell phone time. So, I could basically ignore her. I know! This is wrong but it will make me fill better about myself. I don't know.

I was going to write a letter and leave it on her bed for her to find it when she gets home from dropping me off. I would be about 3-4 hours away at the Duke West Campus. I don't know if this is a good plan or not. I am considering it. I may or may not do it.

I know she won't kick me out because she has constantly asked me if I like girls and tells me she won't mind if I wasn't straight. And if she did care that I wasn't straight, she would still not leave me homeless because she would hate for me to go live with my biological dad, step-mom (both who smoke), and my half-sister.

Okay, so. Is this a good idea? Or should I wait a bit longer? Maybe after I start high school? Or even when I get my tongue pierced to kind of kill two birds with one stone?

Thank you in advance for your help. (!)(!)(!)(!)

2. NeonMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If your mother is really accepting of you not being straight and if you are sure that you would not be left homeless after coming out to her, then I do not see any problem with coming out to her.

:slight_smile:

3. evora

If you know for certain that she'll accept you, you should do it!:slight_smile:

4. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Goodnyte,

It sounds as though your mother already knows. And she's reaching out to you, letting you know it's OK to tell her.

You still have to do it at the time and place that is right for you. Only you know you and we, of course, don't know your mom. What feels right?

Here's a suggestion:

Envision how the encounter would go if it were absolutely perfect. What do you see? A face-to-face talk? Your mom reading a letter by herself in her room, with time to think things over before she talks to you (and you to her)? A cell-phone conversation in which you have only a brief time before you both have a chance to think things through?

There's no right or wrong answers. This is about you, not your mom. Think about what you'd like your coming out to her to look like, then do your best to create that situation when you're ready.

--Zoe

5. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Go for it! You mentioned your mom is accepting, so i think shell be ok with that.

Goodluck!!:icon_wink

6. Goodnyte

I have decided to come out to my mom. Thank you guys for your support. I hope it goes well. Gah! Only 4 days! Wish me luck you guys. I might come out to my dad too. He is in Kuwait right now but will be home for a month. Let's hope this goes right.