1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please talk me down!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BadCanadaJoke, May 20, 2013.

1. BadCanadaJoke

OK so...i've been struggling with my sexuality for QUITE some time now. Coming from phases where i was all like "you are definitely straight,how can you even think otherwise" to "you're totally gay" And i originally joined EC (a couple of days ago......yeah,days) in utter confusion and "torn apartness"(yes, it could easily be a word).

Turns out i just needed the held support of the EC community here to come out to myself.
    I am now in a place where i can safely say to myself that yes you are gay. And it's AWESOME!!!! I couldn't feel more liberated,anxiety free and happy blah blah blah( you know the feeling).
    Problem is that when i'm not jumping around in my room(yes,that's how much i like the idea)
    I'm thinking about telling everyone!!! Right now, as they ask me how do you do on fb... It will slip through me i can feel it. If you asked me right now, I would tell you!

Problem is, my spidey senses are telling me that this would probably be stupid, make my relationship awkward with my parents and friends and people i wouldn't like to find out will.
    I'm actually "planing"/fantasizing on telling my girl friends about it(all 4 of them) this summer(cause one of them is still trying to match me with someone and i feel really weird) and later on during the summer my parents.
    Am I being overly excited about all this,wanting to share the info with the world?
    I want to hear your failures!! Please tell how bad it can go so that i can slow down a bit..!! Please. I feel that without the proper discouragement i could rush into things,when i shouldn't....

2. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I haven't come out to most of my family yet, but saying it loud and proud in school has gone well :slight_smile:

3. Hefiel

Just go for it. If you're worried about their reaction, test the waters first to see what they think of homosexuality.

4. BadCanadaJoke

My parents are pro gay and gay marriage...but not adoption...?(we'll work on that...)
    it's true though i should test some of my friends out... They have politically correct opinions but i don't know how accepting they'll be...
    an other problem is...the rest of the family...even if my parents are totally cool and open minded, the rest of my family is probably old ladies who survived WW2...How do you tell those people? What if they hear it from somewhere? That's really confusing for me.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Imagine my familly like this big Italian family where everybody's close to one another(i'm not italian though)

#4 BadCanadaJoke, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  5. Hefiel

If anything, no credible scientific research have shown a different in the development of children raised in a homosexual household versus a heterosexual household. Those children are raised to be much more open-minded and responsible however (of homosexual household).

Does it really matter if the rest of your family knows or finds out about it? Does their opinions about you really matters? If your parents are on your side, then they'll be behind you regardless of what the rest of the family thinks. You'll also see who really cares about you and who doesn't.

Else, when you come out to your parents, you could always ask them not to tell anyone else and that you'll take care of it in time. Same goes for your friends.

I'm not saying you should come out tonight or tomorrow though, you should come out when you're ready (preferably). There's just no need to hurry and be anxious about it.

6. followtherabbit

Start slow and bloom like a flower.
    Start with the person you feel is most likely to help you when you tell others and go from there.
    Also your family besides your parents doesn't need to know yet, maybe one day, but if your parents are pro gay then i'm sure they'd understand you not wanting to share with the rest of your family just yet.

HAPPY FOR YOU :grin:

7. BadCanadaJoke

I'm thinking of coming out first to my best friend and then decide on what to do from then on...I think I'll be for the best.
    i would feel more comfortable coming out to everyone(which i plan on doing) after i have invested more time on the matter,whatever that includes...i want to know what to tell them and/or have some experience...?

8. wanderinggirl

realizing that you're gay is the best feeling!!! congrats!!!

when i first came out to myself, it was like all at once. i got super excited and wanted to tell everyone i was queer. and then as it sank in, i stopped dancing around my room and became consumed with worry about the reactions of my friends and family. and then i decided i was never coming out to anyone ever. and then i felt like crap and decided that was a terrible plan.

so i came out slowly to people, meaningfully, and it wound up being easier than i expected. they took it well and they were supportive and they were there for me. it's good to keep it between you and close friends at first, and then working on outward from there as far as you feel is necessary. some people might take some time; some might be totally fine with it right away. and then you'll be out and you can go back to dancing around your room again.

9. Hefiel

There's not much else to say other than "I'm gay" or "I like guys"/"I want to date guys". Some will gradually steer a conversation with their friend towards LGBT-related subject and then make their coming out. Some will just come up to their friend and say "I've got something to tell you" and then come out, some will do it through text messages, emails or letters, etc.

Since I only had to come out to my parents my personal experience is pretty slim. In my case, I just flat out said "I'm gay" after a dinner at the table, and things went from there.

10. bagginses

bagginses Guest

Are you gay?

^o^

---------- Post added 20th May 2013 at 05:00 PM ----------

Well, when I told my sister I was gay she was cool with it.
    two weeks later she forgot I told her, so now I have to find a way to tell her and keep that in her head.

I plan to tell her I have a boyfriend (when I do get one) so that it can leave a inerasable impression. then she'll never forget. ^_^

11. BadCanadaJoke

thnx! that's great to hear!! your first paragraph described how i feel since yesterday.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    your second how i'd like to be in the future...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    for some reason,though, i have a feeling everything will be fine(?) call me crazy!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. BadCanadaJoke

thnx guys!! (for not actually talking me down:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)
    i'm thinking of telling my mum this weekend when i go home...
    i can picture it...she will ask if i'm sure and she will mean it:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: if i tell her it's a stupid question,she will insist:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: i will let you know how it happens!
    also on june 1 i'm telling my best friend and her 40 year old boyfriend(whooooole other story!!)
    i'll update you on that too:slight_smile:

13. Hefiel

Best of luck :wink:

14. BadCanadaJoke

15. Hexagon

We're not very good at talking people out of coming out. Good luck.