1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When, where and the place you realized that you were you gay/lesbian?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gay and proud, May 21, 2013.

1. Gay and proud

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, it's the exact moment once you realized that your different that you really come to seeing that fabulous side of things for the 1st time ever! When did you realise that you're gay/lesbian? Age?! Place? Alone or public? And what was your reaction? Scared, fine or something like " ohhhhhhhhhhh now it makes sense!"? Ok, am guessing scared for all of us for sure, but you may have been ok!

Either way once you did realize, whatever you were doing, did you carry on?! Or did you need time to adjust and go somewhere private?!!

As for me it was actually once I was on hoilday!!! My reaction was : "Seriousy?! Am supposed to be freaking relaxing here!!!" But being truthful, for me it was a moment that suddenly clicked into place. It made sense. I mean, it was scary, but I also knew that I was going through a moment that everybody here comes to realize. I processed it at the very, very, very back of my mind. Being quiet while the beach helped to take my mind off the days that I came to know.

And I kept this at the very,very, very back of my mind for yet another 2 years. Being quiet while still having the full awareness of who I am. But I never did talk about it in my mind or to my self. But I eventually did to my Mum, and then to a very trustful friend. I was 13 at the time ; now am 15.

And the fact that just 1 big notice that can be kept so secret, a moment that would put me through my head over a crouse of being in a closet, a moment that in the end, Gives you the gift of accepting your self and being the person who's different, but unique, is freaking fab!!!

2. AKTodd

In college, age 21, while being driven home by my second hookup (who I had now hooked up with twice), who was the first guy I initiated things with (my first hookup hit on me each time we got together).

I started thinking about the fact that I'd never had the slightest interest in females, that I had actively sought out the encounters with this guy, and that based on the available evidence I could either play some sort of "I'm just experimenting/curious" mind game or conclude that I was gay and accept that conclusion. I've never had much time for mind games so just accepted that I was gay. Then decided I was hungry and started wondering what to do for dinner.

Told my hookup, who congatulated me or the like. Then he dropped me off, I walked home and fixed something to eat. Started coming out to friends and family shortly afterward (think I came out to my mom about 2wks later).

And that was that.

Todd

3. Trailblazer

I can't remember a specific time when I realized I preferred guys, it just seemed to had always been on the back of my mind I think.

4. qboy

I first realised I was attracted to guys when I was on a Stagecoach bus to college one day, about the time the owner of said company was campaigning against the abolition of section 28 (which banned the "promotion of homosexuality" in schools).

Finally realised I was gay about six years later on a night out just before my final exams at university (can still remember exactly where I was in the bar when it clicked!)

5. Phoenixaaa

In third grade, when I realized I had a crush on my 20-something gym coach.
    }:>
    I was a perverted little one..

6. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was in 2012, somewhere around October (so, very not long ago!), I was at home watching Glee. I was watching that episode where Santana gets outed to everyone and I tought : ''Could I be..? OMG. Yes, I AM A LESBIAN. LOL.''
    I really tought it was funny because I never saw it before and it is so obvious.. I'm stupid. :slight_smile:
    I mean, my last boyfriend was when I was 11 years old (I'm almost 17 now)! I've never really had a crush on a guy (There was a guy that I liked but not that way, he was just nice to me, but I eventually disliked him after a while because he annoyed me!). I tought I was just jealous of other girls but I've come to realize I was actually crushing on them!

At first I tought : ''Meh, I don't feel the need to be with someone anyway, so I won't come out.'' But now I'm seriously thinking about it and waiting for the right moment!

7. TimK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really knew when I went to my secondary school at the age of 13. But I refused to accept it until I was 47. Now that's a bit of a gap! I was walking from my bedroom to my bathroom one evening two weeks before my 47th birthday when I said out loud for the first time "I am gay". It was a bit of a shock to my system and it took me a further year to tell someone else (and that was not a good year!). Four years on and I have never felt so relaxed with myself. Great!

8. KingdomKeyDK

When I first felt my first crush on a boy.

9. Black Swan

I knew that I thought it would be nice to kiss my bestfriend age 11, but I wouldn't accept it until I was 14.

It was a process, I didn't just wake up one day and realise.

10. ezkill

In retrospect, I have always preferred guys. There were some older females (relatively speaking) that I grew close with growing up, but when I look back, I've always been attracted to guys. I never fully recognized or comprehended it until I was in the 5th grade, or right when I was hitting puberty. I had my first boy crush that year.

11. freedom200

freedom200 Guest

when i was 11 i realized that i liked guys cuz it was my first gay kiss which led me to think about my sexual orientation, i actually thought i was gay, then later when i was 12 i realized that I'm actually bi and im now in the process of coming out. :slight_smile:

12. kumawool

I realised I was in love with a close friend in grade 8. But gay? LOL I didn't even know what that was!!!! It took me a failed relationship and trying to go back from the gr. 8 crush (who just wasn't into me), to realise who I was. I didn't really understand what or who I was until mid grade 11.... 16 years old! A little late, but I didn't have much education as a child as to what LGB persons were.

13. Slime

Well it's always been in the back of my mind since elementary but it only clicked into place at 13 during the summer holidays. It was the strangest thing ever: I was just lying on my bed daydreaming when it struck me that I was really gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Since then I've been trying to accept myself and I'm halfway there.

14. PaigeyLeigh

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It was sort of in my mind a bit that I might like girls at the time, but it was never anything I seriously considered. It kind of hit me when I was in my science class and a girl I was sorta friends with walked in to give something to the teacher, and when she looked up, the look on her face kind of hit me, and it have me kinda butterflies I guess, this was completely knew to me as I had had two previous boyfriends in which I never felt anything like that with, so yea, thats when It really clicked I guess :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had known since I was around 12 (denying it, though), but I acknowledged it last March, when it just occurred to me how stupid I was being. I was in a car for several hours, so I had time to mull it over.

16. Hexagon

I realised I was some variety of sexually queer when I was 12. I told my best friend, who is still my best friend :slight_smile:. As for the location, I was in the boarding house of the school I was attending.

17. JPC

JPC Guest

There was never really a specific moment where I realised I was gay, I always knew. One of my first memories of it was when I was about 7 or 8 and I dreamed that one of the other boys in my class was holding my hand as we walked around the playground.
    I also used to lay awake at night when I was around 9/10 and plot my escape to America. My plan was that when I was 18 I could have a boyfriend there and nobody at home in Ireland would have to know about it, and that I would have a female friend that I could bring home with me at Christmas and stuff and pretend she was my 'wife'. It was a fairly elaborate and incredibly flawed plan, but I was young and stupid.

18. catoptriclenses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first realized that the jealousy I thought I had of other girls was actually crushes was in 8th grade with my best friend. I repressed the feelings I had for a couple years and eventually I called myself bicurious for a little while. Soon after I identified as bisexual because I knew for sure I liked girls but didn't want to accept that guys weren't an option for me. When I finally realized that I am a lesbian was about 3 months ago when I began my first relationship with another woman. I quickly realized that someone like her was what I had been missing and that I actually don't like men at all. It was definitely a confusing process to say the least.

19. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's how I remember it. It was in the fall of '98 or '99, I was in bed and about to get up to get ready for work and somehow started thinking about some guys I knew and finally realized why I liked them so much and that it must mean I was gay. One guy at work was quitting and I was thinking how much I'd miss him and how I always wanted to be close friends with him. Another guy at work was in college so he was working part-time so I didn't get to see him as much as I had over the summer when he worked more. I missed seeing him as much and was annoyed how I could never be close with these guys I liked so much so I think that's how it finally hit me. I was pissed and right away thought I'd never tell anyone and how everyone would hate me. I cried and thought no, no, no, it can't be, this is bullshit, this can't be! I got up and got ready for work and tried to forget about it, of course I never could, but that's when I finally recognized I was gay. :rolle:

#19 mnguy, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  20. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i am 13 at my room wondering why i like boys more than girls, tv told me wrong things about gay people so i hated being gay before, i was afraid of this time coming, time to come out