1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my best friend...how do I interpret her reaction?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CuriouslyInLove, May 21, 2013.

1. CuriouslyInLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I told my best friend a few months ago that I was attracted to a girl...but didn't tell her the attraction was to her. Today, I had a massive emotional breakdown because I felt like holding my feelings for her captive inside me was eating me alive. I thought it was easier to say goodbye to her, than to tell her how I felt.

I told her that I had a crush on a girl at work, and she asked me who. I explained that it wasn't necessarily a sexual attraction, but more a romantic one. I said she has the best personality of anyone I've ever met, and she's kind, and beautiful too. Then she said

J:"Aw I'm kinda jealous! I wish someone would describe me that way! How do you know for sure it will never happen?"

ME: I told her when I was ready to say who the girl was, she would be the first to know, that I was just scared. Then she asked again if I was sure nothing could ever happen, and if the person has a love that makes them unattainable, and before I could answer, she sent this:

J: "Well, I know it`s not the same and means nothing coming from me, but if I was single, I'd love being your ur gf!"

So that was when I revealed it..."So you wouldn't be freaked out and our friendship wouldn't change if I said it was you? Cuz that is what I am afraid of. I know it can never happen, but I'm scared that I'll lose my best friend."

Her response: Never. Why would I when ur my best friend."

ME: I then told her that I'm not a homewrecker, and I'm not going to hit on her or anything..."I just find that you have such an amazing personality, and I can be comfortable and open with you. I can be who I am...and I think you're beautiful too...that's just a bonus. Stop me if I'm weirding you out".

And this is what she said: Never hun, u dont freak me out at all. your just being honest and thank u so much hun that's sweet of u. And if I didn't have a boyfriend uou would def be my first pick on dating again. I'm sorry I'm already with someone so don't take that as a rejection or anything but I do love him (*Which I totally know and understand and said so later*)
    But I do think u r awesome! And u are beautiful too. if I ever become single if it didn't work out, I would love to be with u. But I hope we can still be best friend u are awesome and amazing too. Plz dont stop being my best friend. I would miss u too much. U r the bestest friend I have ever had. We can still be secret gfs at work ;-)"

So what do I take of this? She knows the truth now, and she also went on to say that if she was single, she wouldn't be afraid to try something. She's not freaked out, she's not running away...but is she just saying that she would be with me to try and make me feel happy? I was pretty emotionally down before the Big Reveal. Or does she actually feel that way?

2. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You have an awesome friend. Extremely confusing, but awesome. Maybe she's telling the truth, maybe she's lying to make you feel better, but either way, she's awesome and you should keep her in your life, just as a friend or otherwise.
    I say just wait for her to break up with her boyfriend and in the meantime, keep your eyes open for other potential relationships. Crushes pass. And if they don't, you'll eventually give up and move on. I've had a crush on one of my straight guy friends for years now, but I know it won't happen and though I still think he's amazing, I don't waste my time dwelling on it.
    Only time will tell, maybe you two will get together, maybe not. She's awesome, but there are tons of other awesome girls out there (and/or boys, whatever).