1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explaining "Trans" to kids

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Daydreamer1, May 21, 2013.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simple question. How does one go explaining what being trans is to little kids, like under ten?

2. UndercoverGypsy

By not dancing around the subject. Kids have a tendency to be more open-minded than adults. Don't treat it like something strange, and they will understand.

3. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    YEAH. I mean, I don't even discuss about trans with my dad or my mom (even though she is open minded about gay people in general) because I know they won't understand, but kids are really nice about that and they don't mind at all. Just say what it is and they'll be good.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom said my little sister wouldn't understand, but I think different since she takes after me in the smarts department. I think part of it has to do with my mom dancing around the subject too. I guess I'll wait and see since my sis will wonder why people call me AJ and such.

5. suninthesky

I was volunteering at an even with a lot of kids:

I probably should’ve anticipated the sheer number of questions kids have about everything. And they’re not afraid to ask any of them. A conversation I had with one of them as a result of the endless questions went something like this:

I had been helping a group of students with the poems. One girl was finished and turned around in her seat. Out of the blue she asked, “What’s wrong with your voice?”

At first I was a little confused. I didn’t think I was sick and even though I admittedly did need some water, I didn’t think it was anything noticeable. I replied, “What do you mean?”

I started to get an inkling of what she was talking about, so I tried to play it off as nothing. “Oh, this is how I always talk.”

“Wait. You’re a boy.. right?”

I froze for a second. I had trouble explaining myself to pretty much anyone, including people my age. How could I possibly explain myself to a 3rd grader? I million questions of my own went through my mind in that split second: Was anyone else listening? If the teachers were, what would they say? How would this kid react? Was it going to be a bigger deal than it really needed to be?

I did know one thing for sure – kids are incredibly perceptive. They know when they're being lied to, or even if they aren’t being told the whole truth. I decided to just go for it, and hope I made some sort of sense.

“Well, I was born a girl, but inside I’m a boy, so this is how I express myself.”

“Oh, so you want to be a boy?”

“Yup, pretty much.”

She had a bit of a confused/incredulous expression on her face. “Why would you want to be a boy??”

I resisted the urge to insist that I didn’t just want to be a guy – I was a guy, inside, and replied, “Why do you want to be a girl?”

“Um.. so I can grow up and be pretty!!”

I laughed and jokingly flexed my arm. “Well, I want to grow up and be really strong.”

It seemed to make sense to her and the one or two others who were listening in, but that didn’t mean their questions were over. After a brief interrogation about my short haircut and whether or not I’d changed my name they seemed to just accept it and move on. If only the rest of the world could do that too…