1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Come Out To Therapist?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tabbicat, May 22, 2013.

1. tabbicat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay so I have been seeing my therapist since January, about 4 or so months now. I see her mostly for issues related to bipolar disorder and problems I have had mostly in relation to growing up. Well she is always talking to me and asking me if I have a boyfriend or am interested in any boys... For whatever reason I have always just said, no, no boys. And for awhile that worked because dating wasn't really a big part of my life but now I am a lot more interested in finding someone (I am a lesbian so a girl, duh!) and dating and working on coming out to some of my family and all that stuff and I feel like I could use some help from my therapist, but I don't know how to approach the subject... I mean it seems like it'd be nuts to walk in and say "Oh by the way, I'm gay and have known since before I started seeing you." Like I don't know how I'm going to explain that further... Why I didn't tell her and why I've been going along with the whole "any boys?" question for the last 4 months... Help?:help::icon_redf

2. jimL

They have heard it all. Most therapists will not judge you but will help you. I think you will make your life a lot easier if you just go ahead and tell her about liking girls. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she already suspected that. Maybe she is trying to give you the opportunity to tell her when she is asking you about boys.

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I just picked the day walked into appt. sat down & did the rapid fire "I'm gay........," Just got it all out at once! I was so scared but it changed my whole life for the better.
    Therapist was so supportive & it helped when talking about other topics too. It really is freeing! Hugs

4. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Tabbicat,

I did the exact same thing Rose did only yesterday. My therapist is the very first (and so far the only) person I've come out to and I did exactly what Rose did. I picked the day, walked in, say down and said, "I need to talk about something different today. It's difficult for me to say, so I'm going to come right out with it and then we can talk about it. I'm gay."

Tough to do, but I'm so glad I did. I'd recommend taking the plunge. As Jim said, any good therapist will not judge you and will be in a good position to help you work through your feelings. And if you don't trust your therapist enough to tell her something like this, I strongly recommend you look for another therapist. You should be able to trust your therapist absolutely.

--Zoe

5. tabbicat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm just going to walk into my next appointment on Tuesday, sit down, and pretty much just say it. lol

6. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello. this is actually my first time writing at EC.
    As a psychology student and also someone who s been through the same experience I think it s a great idea to come out to your therapist.
    Last July (2012) i had strong feelings for a girl while traveling abroad, and that was when i realized i just couldn't deny anymore the fact i could be a lesbian. it took me some months to accept it to myself so i planned to begin this conversation after NYE, as there were major problems to talk about at that time.
    It was when i was getting ready to come out in a few sessions when she mentioned dating and relationships - and that's the topic i always hesitated to go deeper - she gave me that click sentence to show me i could be a lesbian. Well by then i knew what she meant and i just confirmed... To sume, i could say she found out before i could tell her that, which was actually good for me; that was the moment i realized it wasn't just a crazy idea of mine.

I agree with everyone else above here about coming out. if she's a good therapist, she should give u support to take things easier and feel more comfortable with who u are!

Good luck :icon_bigg

7. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you, Tabicat! I know you won't regret it. Please let us know how it goes.

--Zoe