1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hasn't anyone figured it out by now??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by freedom200, May 22, 2013.

1. freedom200

freedom200 Guest

I'm just wondering why no one has said anything yet, cuz to be honest, i haven't really been acting that "straight". do people already know and are they just being too afraid to say anything, or are they all a bunch of clueless idiots? what do you think, cuz im confused :confused:

2. WanderingGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    People can be very clueless. But it can also be that they're afraid to hurt your feelings by asking you if you're gay. You should just be blunt and tell them instead.

3. Sully

Or people just might not care. Although sexuality to LGBT people is much more of issue, most people find it mid numbingly boring to hear about.

4. freedom200

freedom200 Guest

im bi actually and in the process of coming out ( deciding who to tell first) and i wouldn't be offended if they asked me. anyways, i wouldn't even know how to tell them and i don't just want to blatantly say. HEY IM BI!!!!! cuz i figured that would be too forward, any suggestions on how to tell them?

5. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Freedom,

In addition to the above suggestions, your friends may know or suspect something but are respecting your privacy and are waiting for you to tell them. I know I have several friends I suspect are gay, but I wouldn't dream of asking them because I don't know if they're out or not, and it's not my business until they tell me. And I could be wrong, and no one wants to ask someone if they're gay and be wrong. It's like asking a heavy woman if she's pregnant and hearing, "No." It doesn't get much more awkward than that.

As far as coming out to them, my suggestion is to do it on your terms as much as possible. I don't have a lot of experience with this, but my feeling is you don't want to get in a situation where you blurt it out before math class and then don't have a chance to follow up with any questions they may have. Or maybe that's preferable to you. I don't know.

My point is, my advice is to be as proactive as you can in this situation. It should be as comfortable and pleasant for you as possible. Choose a time and place that you think would give you the outcome you would most like to see.

Some things to think about:

1. Do you want a chance to answer any questions they might have or to talk about anything right away?

2. Or do you want to tell them and then give them and you time to think/reflect before talking further?

3. Do you want to tell them face-to-face? Or are you more comfortable with texting or emailing? With texting and emailing, you create time for both you and your friends to think before responding.

4. Is there perhaps one or two friends you want to tell privately first--ones who would give you support and courage to go through the rest of the process?

5. Envision the situation of coming our to your friends as if it went as perfectly as it could. What does it look like? What can you do to get it as close as possible to that vision?

These are just some thoughts. Everyone comes out in their own way and in their own time. There is no right or wrong here--do what makes you feel the strongest and most confident.

Hope this helps--

--Zoe