1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My brother already come out, Should I?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Garciano, May 23, 2013.

1. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey EC!

so i posted days ago if you guys remember about me Having a gay brother, He formally came out to me just hours ago! He told me he thought i knew. My reaction of course is very accepting, i told him it is okay, and as his brother, i support him.

But the problem is... Its soo hard to come out after that! he and the whole family knows i am straight and it makes me troubled :frowning2: Im worried and i need help. i need to get this out cos my heart is pounding. :frowning2: should i tell him?

thanks so much

2. LateRobert

Hey Garciano,

Welcome to EC.

Definitely. Tell him for yourself & for him. Just think what a great what a good support you both can be for each other.

Robert

3. NeonMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If there's only two of you male in your family, I guess it would be really hard on your part especially your brother and your whole family knows - or assumes that you are straight.

But I think, amidst the difficulty, you should tell him. So that you will not fall deeper and tangle yourself in a more difficult situation that could happen in the future if you delay your actions.

:slight_smile:

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Garciano,

As difficult as this will be for your parents, you need to tell him because you will need his support.

5. BudderMC

Except you're not straight :wink:

Obviously he'd be accepting of it, being gay himself. You would prove to be valuable assets to one another in this process, particularly if you're close in age. It would also help you feel like you're not alone since you're not out to your family yet.

I know it's hard to come out to people, but think of it this way: it's going to be harder to come out to someone who you DON'T know is accepting or not. Might as well bite the bullet and tell someone who you know will take it well, right? :slight_smile:

6. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i know right? i really do hope that they have hints! there are actually 3 boys in the family.

7. coreyl13

I'm in the same situation. My sister came out a few years ago. It was a shock because she was soooo boy crasy but everybody accepted her. You would think it would make it easier but it hasn't. I haven't told her yet but I did tell my grandpa and it was amazing. I had a post about others being gay and having a gay sibling. I know 2 others like this. Glad to see there's more :slight_smile:

8. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hi there

yeah that is the thing i am most scared of, my parents knowing,.. thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 23rd May 2013 at 06:56 AM ----------

yeah, i hope so! were actually pretty close, youre so right in there. i just hope he is not dissapointed that his brother is gay, too! Thanks, that really helps a lot :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 23rd May 2013 at 07:01 AM ----------

I feel relieved to see someone who has the same situation! thanks for that story, i hope my granparents were alive to tell them too! theres no one to tell except my brother. Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile: i am glad too

#8 Garciano, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  9. Dans le placard

One of the things that kept me in the closet for as long as I was was my brother (and only sibling) being gay as well. To paraphrase someone on here, you can't live a life you're expected to lead when it's essentially a lie for you.

10. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in the opposite situation.

I am the out one, and my brother is not out yet. I actually joined this forum to try and put myself in his shoes because I have been out for so long now ( nearly 20 years) that it is hard for me to understand what it is like for him. I have to say that although my brother is in a difficult situation I am extremely glad that he came out to me because I would like to help him along his journey and be there for him when he needs me.

11. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hey youre in the same situation! :slight_smile: yeah it is hard to love a lie. But the good thing is I just came out as maybe gay to my brother! its was relieving and said he supports me no matter what. It feels great!. thanks!:icon_bigg

---------- Post added 24th May 2013 at 01:51 AM ----------

Thanks for that! i just came out as possible gay to him and he understand. youre on the other side of the story! cool. thanks :icon_wink