1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't even come out to my school counsellor...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Islander, May 24, 2013.

1. Islander

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am currently not out to a single person. I started to have homosexual feelings when I was about 12, but have only recently thought that I am most likely a lesbian (I am 18).

I will be going to university in September and currently attend an all-girls school. I have been seeing the school counsellor for a few months about issues between my parents, so have got to know her quite well. At first, I didn't even think about coming out to her as it wasn't an issue that I was bothered with, as I have never had any internal homophobia. But lately I have started to worry about how my life is going to change when I go to university, as I would like to start dating. If I become more open about my sexuality at university, there is the worry that the knowledge could somehow spread to my parents, and I am nowhere near ready to tell them.

Anyway, I wish to discuss these matters with the counsellor, but have been unable to actually come out to her. I am really angry with myself because of this, as I thought I was ok with my sexuality and still am, but I just can't figure out why it is so hard to tell her. It may be because I know that she already has an image of me in her mind, and I would drastically change it if I come out to her (which I know is a ridiculous and irrational belief, because she is a counsellor so has seen it all before and is not there to pass judgement). Whenever I go to see her with the intention of coming out, conversation always starts with how my parents are, and it is near to impossible to get the conversation around to personal relationships - but on the infrequent occasions where we do start to discuss relationships, I chicken out and am unable to tell her. I have toyed with the idea of emailing her before our next session, but this feels like the coward's way out, and I would quite like to practise 'coming out' before I have to do it in the 'real world'. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can come out to her in person?

Thank you.

2. Femmeme

How about something in between email and saying it out loud face to face? Write it on a piece of paper and hand it to her at your next session. You don't have open with saying it out loud and you don't have to find a way to shift the conversation in that direct, but its not cowardly because you'll be right there to see her reaction and answer any questions she has.

The other thing I recommend is looking at yourself in the mirror every morning and saying out loud (even if you have to whisper it) but looking into your own eyes and saying "I'm a lesbian. It's a powerful exercise and I know it's helped me a lot. (*hug*)

3. That Kid

Trust me, being out at university will in no way lead to your parents knowing. It's really the best place to start coming out, especially if you're going to a school where people are really accepting (which is a majority of them.)

There is really no 'coward's way out' when it comes to coming out. Do what you have to do. I remember coming out to a majority of people through text message, and they didn't mind at all.

Good luck!

4. Islander

That's a good idea - I might think about that, thank you Femmeme.

The trouble is, I'm going to university quite locally and because of my mother's job, she is well connected. Also, I wouldn't only have to come out at uni, but also to my friends whom I have known for years and whose parents know mine. If there was no issue with my parents then I would probably be out by now, and it's really frustrating that I can't be because of the fear of family finding out.

It's not that I'm worried about other people perceiving me as a coward, it's that I would be annoyed with myself if I didn't come out face to face with the counsellor, as it would be good practise, and I would just be proud of myself if I could face up to my inability to say it to her directly :icon_bigg. Other people may work differently, but I like to make things hard for myself for some reason :confused:. Thanks for your advice!
    :icon_bigg

5. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Islander,

I think I know exactly what you mean about having difficulty coming out to your counselor, even though you don't have any internal struggle with being a lesbian.

As someone who is just now coming out (at the age of 42), I can tell you that there's something powerful about telling someone for the very first time. Even though you're absolutely fine with it, that first time you tell, it travels from your head into the world and becomes real in a way it wasn't before. You can feel the weight of it, perhaps for the first time.

I know that's what I'm experiencing right now. The first person I told was my therapist. I was having the same issue you were having--part of me wanted to say something, but I couldn't seem to steer the conversation in such a way as to provide me with an opening to say it.

So one day--just a few days ago--I went in, and after some general chit-chat, I just said straight up: "I want to talk about something different today." It not only worked, it have me a sense of control over the situation. I was no longer waiting for someone else to create the opportunity for me to say something very important--I did it myself. That alone made it just a little easier to say out loud.

I like Femmeme's advice about writing it on a piece of paper--it would really have the same effect and might be a little easier.

Anyway, I know this is tough. But you're not alone.

--Zoe

6. Islander

Thanks, Zoe, for your advice! Congratulations on coming out to your therapist, too!

I think you're right, and that I will just have to take a deep breath and say it. The only problem is, I have had perfect opportunities to tell her before, and I've actually started to say it, for example, 'There's also the issue that I'm.....' and then I change what I'm going to say for something like '....revising really hard for my exams at the moment' :bang:. I do keep trying to hint to her though, for example I told her that I have never had a boyfriend, and I constantly look over at the LGBT flyers on her wall, hoping that she'll notice me glancing, so that it will be less of a shock when I eventually (hopefully) come out to her.

Anyway, the point is that I'm not very good with blurb and easing this sort of thing into the conversation as I'll chicken out half way through. Do you think it might be a good idea to just walk into the room, shut the door, and blurt out 'I'm Gay'? Or would that be unfair on her as she'd have to compose herself..... I definitely know that that is the way that I would feel most comfortable telling her, but I don't want to make her uncomfortable and have to recover so quickly. But perhaps counsellors are used to this sort of thing?

Thanks,

Islander.

7. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Again--

I know what you mean about getting part way into a sentence and then changing it. This is really a tough thing to do--I admire you for being confident enough in yourself to want to tell her in the first place. But it's still hard, especially that first time.

So a couple of thoughts--you could do exactly as you said: come in and just blurt it out. Like you suggested, counselors are used to this sort of thing. And it may be that she's picked up on some of your hints, but doesn't want to invade your privacy and is waiting fo you to say something. If that's the case, she won't be surprised. And that's basically what I did. All the lead up I gave it is what I mentioned earlier--"I want to talk about something different today..." It sort of framed the situation, so she had a moment to realize something was coming.

You could write it down, as Femmeme suggested, and then hand it to her when you first walk in the door. It would have the same effect, but you wouldn't actually have to say it. That might be easier for you.

One thing that motivated me was that I knew I only had an hour with my therapist and that I didn't want to wait another week before saying anything. I didn't want to wait until it was late in the hour--I wanted to make sure we had enough time to talk about it as possible, so I said it right away. I also didn't want to get half-way through a talk and then have to wait a week to continue it.

You seem to honestly want to tell her, but that first step is scary. Don't be hard on yourself for faltering. This is important, difficult stuff.

After I told my therapist, it was really no big deal. She acted like it was perfectly fine, and no big deal to sit and talk about it for an hour. And I felt so much better. I had let it become something much larger in my head and had gotten myself worked up over something that turned out to be not so difficult after all. I have a feeling that's how you'll feel after you tell her.

Whatever you do, make sure it's how you're comfortable doing it. She's your counselor, and while your instinct to make the situation easier for her (by giving herself time to compose herself) is noble, it's unnecessary. It's not your job or responsibility to make this easy for her. But it is your job to be kind to yourself and come out to her in the way that makes it as comfortable as possible for you.

--Z

PS--Thanks for the congrats. :slight_smile: I appreciate it, especially from someone who is going through the same thing and knows how hard it is.

8. Rexmond

You're right - it isn't easy, and I know exactly how you feel. I was in the same position you were in a few months ago. Firstly, you should know that your counsellor (who has already been helping you for some time) is someone that you trust, so coming out to her shouldn't be a problem! You already know that though, which is a good thing.

Secondly, don't tell yourself that there is an 'easy' or "coward's" way to do this. It's not something you have to rush, and there is no 'correct' way of doing this. I would highly recommend writing a letter, and handing it to her just before your session ends, which means that the next time you speak you will both be prepared and it won't be a shock. That's what I done when I came out to a teacher at my school. I was nervous and was seriously starting to hate my self because I too had the perfect opportunities and let them slip. But when the time came where I pushed my self, and told my self I need to stop beating my self up and do it. This man has been there for me for two years, and he's the kindest man I know and can trust. Why should this change anything? I didn't regret it a single bit, and he was more supportive than ever.

By giving her an e-mail or letter, you can write down exactly what you want without letting your nerves get to you as they would if you did telling her face-to-face, and it gives both of you time.

Remember, there are loads of us who went through similar things, and we're so grateful that we managed to do it in the end! (*hug*)

9. Islander

I did it! I just walked in and pointed at the LGBT leaflet tacked onto the wall and said 'Can we talk about this, please?' She was really nice about it (not that I thought she wouldn't be) and gave me some good advice. She said how nice it was to see me smiling and laughing, and just generally seeming more relaxed after that weight had been lifted off my shoulders :grin: . Anyway, just thought I would share that with you! Been walking round the corridors in school all day smiling like a real weirdo XD.

Thanks for all your advice,

Islander