1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to large groups and asian parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bowtiesandstuff, May 24, 2013.

1. Bowtiesandstuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First off I know there are lots of threads out there and I should read before I post but I wanted my own so yeah...

I have big urges to tell my friends but I always chicken out. I'm totally fine with them knowing and I know they'll be supportive but I just don't want to burst out of the closet because I know they'll make a big deal about it. I've been trying to hint that I'm gay by doing/saying very stereotypical gay things like wearing heaps of plaid, talking about the L Word, talking about Tegan and Sara, not talking about guys and I even said that if I went to the formal (prom in Australia) I would wear a suit instead of a dress. They still have no idea... I know this is generalising but do straight asians know nothing about gay culture and sterotypes (they've never heard of Tegan and Sara or the plaid stereotype). One of my friends describes one of her friends as 'ultra tomboy' where I think a better word is 'ultra butch' I could come to school with a rainbow tattooed on my cheek and a 'no one knows I'm a lesbian' shirt and they still wont get the hint. Has anyone successfully hinted that they're gay or should I just tell them?

One reason I don't want to tell them is that I don't have a 'best friend', we hang out in packs so its all or nothing. Coming out to 6-7 people at once could be catastrophic. Some of them will start crying and then it'll make me cry and then the whole school will be comforting me... ( I really don't want that). One of my friends (not super close or anything) is a Jehova's Witness... She's against gay marriage (duh) but she seems kind of ok with the fact that some people are gay.

If you think I should just tell them what's a good way to do it casually? A good opportunity might be coming up soon, we're all doing a group project on gay marriage so I might be able to bring it up in conversation.

...and to the asians out there... what are asian (chinese) parent's take of homosexuality? They have mentioned more than once about my hypothetical future husband and kids but they also don't seen against gays or anything... should I still just wait till I move out?

Thanks for the help

2. runaway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OKAY!!
    I'm asian and I've came out and many of my gay asian friends who have come out to their parents (which is extremely rare)
    have taken it EXTREMELY BADLY.
    I strongly STRONGLY urge you to wait until you finished highschool.
    I dont know which state youre from but finish your VCE/HSC, I too am from Australia and asian parents are just ... so conservative
    Ontop of that, if you're the only child then, your parents are going to have a heart attack.
    I kid you not.
    However if you're parents are "white washed" and are very open minded then you could talk to them about it but i guarantee you that you're mum will cry.
    Are you religious by any chance? if you are, then i guess it will be harder.
    Finish school first before telling your parents, you could tell them while you're in university.
    But for your friends, you're only 15 right?
    I say you should wait, being a girl at 15 has a lot of dramas and losses of friendships.
    You might lose friends and make enemies and some of your friends might back stab you and rumors will begin to spread and it will make your life a living HELL! This i know because i've experienced this.
    I think you should tell someone only if you know theyre your friends for life, but then again things might happen.
    If you truely do want to come out and you can't hold it in anymore.
    Say something like "I would turn lesbian for megan fox, she is really really hot"
    then they'll go "yeh me too"
    and then you could say "No.. I really will turn lesbian for megan fox"
    and they'll look at you like "O_O"
    and then you can tell your group of friends!
    I do strongly urge you to becareful of people and be cautious who you tell and good luck!!!

3. Bowtiesandstuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the reply! I read your story in your other thread and I think I'll stay in the closet for my parents sake. and for my friends I'll just be myself until someone asks and I'll tell them then cos it wont be as dramatic. I'm practically living a gay life already except people don't know I'm gay (if you know what I mean). I talk about girls and I dress like boys.

The Megan Fox thing made me laugh but I doubt it'll work on my friends... they can be so stupid sometimes. If I asked them who my celebrity crush is they will easily answer with CHLOE GRACE MORETZ but somehow they are yet to put two and two together... :bang:

4. runaway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LOOOOOOL!
    Don't worry! Take your time no need to rush. You still have school to complete, and youre still young!