1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving out before coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by junglejulia, May 25, 2013.

1. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just wanna ask for your opinion. I've already come out to my closest friends and if anyone would ask I think I would tell them that I am gay instead of lying. But I've planned on saving my family till after I've moved out which will be this summer. I'm going to move to Florence to study art and therefor I won't have much opportunity to come out to them in person. I love my parents and they are really open-minded, but I'm afraid they will be weird about it. Would you move out and come out over the phone, or would you do it before you leave?
    I really need your help!

2. rg93

Hm... Honestly, if you believe your parents are open-minded, I'd come out before I leave (maybe not quite "one foot already out the door" before you leave, though :grin:). Because, well, I dunno. If they really do get all weird about it, they'll get all weird about it regardless of you actually being there or not. :slight_smile: So there's not much of a difference besides you being able to see their reaction a bit clearer.

But if you really don't wanna see their reaction, maybe the phone is better for you. I just prefer the personal way if it's practical and if I feel there's no real danger that anything bad might happen. Just because it tells your parents that you trust them to not overreact, I guess.

3. BadCanadaJoke

well, i believe you should be able to provide for yourself before telling your parents... There's always the case that they'll react very badly and you DON'T want your parents ruining your life over sth that beutiful and exciting for you,which is to discover and embrace your sexuality...
    If you're still not fully independant you should be out of your parent's house!
    All that,IF you think there's a big chance they won't be able to deal with it... Otherwise just say it! A friend of mine told his parents when he was 16 and they were very cool and supportive and all is good, but if you thank that's not the case, just wait a bit...:/

---------- Post added 25th May 2013 at 11:22 PM ----------

otherwise,tell them next time you see them... won't you be back for christmas for example? do that! i'm now studying in france and now i'm back home for the holidays and planning in telling them now:slight_smile:

4. runaway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Consider yourself blessed!!
    I would love to have your opportunity right now, being able to live freely without having to live in absolute paranoia and anxiety of your parents finding out.
    In my opinion you should come out to your parents after you move! Just so you have a back up.
    :eusa_clap

5. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you everyone for your great advices! I am very blessed to have such understanding parents but I fear for my mothers reaction. I think she might suspect and trying to change me. She's been trying to set me up with boys for a while now, and she wants me to grow my hair long and wear dresses. She said she'd pay for my graduation dress IF it really is a dress. So I'm a bit nervous about her reaction. So maybe it would be better if I moved out first. Thank you again!!