1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm constantly coming out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Em1234, May 27, 2013.

1. Em1234

Em1234 Guest

Hey, I'm new to EC and I'm looking for some advice.

I am femme/ lipstick lesbian. I am out to a lot of people in my life but I feel that I am constantly coming out. This is either to new people I meet or people I haven't seen in a long time (I came out for the first time last year aged 21). I want to be honest about who I am but it's exhausting! People say they are surprised when I tell them I am gay which means that people never guess unless I spell it out for them.

Anyone find yourself having to constantly come out? How do you deal with this?

I am working on my pride and I am getting there but it is still a big thing for me to come out to someone, I still worry about making them uncomfortable etc.

Please give me advice :icon_bigg

Em

2. Dans le placard

I can relate to this so much. Every time I meet a friend I haven't seen since coming out, I always feel obliged to tell them. Just think, though, that the reason why you're doing it is because you no longer want to be afraid to be yourself. Saying things out loud to people constantly does indeed feel nerve-racking, but it should eventually make you feel better. I also think of the positive comments I've received; if people are so happy for me, then that's enough to make me happy. :slight_smile:

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone who is gay and leads a life of meeting new people in potentially social contexts (e.g. if you're in a couple) you will find yourself coming out pretty constantly, whether you look the part, or not.

4. caughtbywitness

Unless you become really famous, you'll probably going to be doing it all your life!

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate to this a lot, both about my sexuality and my disability.

So many times I've wished that autism had a distinctive facial appearance like Down Syndrome does.

6. justjade

I feel ya there. I tell my friends, but I don't want to tell my family. So while I'm trying to be truthful with my friends, I'm also trying to make sure word doesn't get back to my parents. It's very stressful. I kind of have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to my family. I want everyone from strangers to close friends to know who I am, but I don't think my family needs to know. Probably sounds weird, but I find myself doing this a lot.

7. Em1234

Em1234 Guest

thanks for your replies :slight_smile: justjade I can relate to the bit about your family. We have a don't ask don't tell thing going on apart from I originally did tell them but they don't acknowledge it... then again everything is a bit don't ask don't tell in my family...