1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmm, Mom + Church

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tim, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

Ok, so I know I seem to ask a lot of questions and never really respond after a certain point, but I can say I thank everyone for all the responses :slight_smile: I try to help out others when I can, but most the time, I'm too afraid I'll offend someone >_<

Anyways, back on topic. While on my way to pick up my sister at the airport today with my mom, (She was visiting her online BF my mom hates, she told me he's proposing to her on her birthday in october next time she visits him :astonished:), my mom started talking about how she became a christian somehow. (She seems to want me to become religious even more, now that I'm out...) Anyways, she started talking about needing to make a speech. She said it's a custom for all the ministers/minister interns to make a testimonial about how they found Christ. And then she asked me if I'd be willing to go to give support.

Now, I know what most of you are thinking, just go, it's your mom and such, but I know that, I want to go, but at the same time, I don't. I was at that church for a long time, there are a lot of homophobic people that attend that church, and on top of that, I am no longer Christian, I decided to decide for myself, and at this point in time, I believe I am an agnostic after talking to some EC members + real life friends. Now, all the experiences I've had in the church the past few years are not good experiences, but my mom wants me to go there to support her when she does her testimonial. I want to go to support her, as even though she doesn't quite accept me fully, she is still my mom and I love her, but on the other hand, I would feel so uncomfortable and want to cry just walking into a room full of people who kept preaching to all the youth that being gay was a sin and such. I'm very torn, and have no idea what to do >_< :help:

2. Louise

Hard one! I would say... if you can go and support your mum, she my not fully accept your homosexuality yet but I am sure she is trying and if she sees you making an effort for her maybe she will be more inclined to make an effort for you.

I say 'if you can' having said that if this support requires you to be hypocritical and go against what you believe then it might be best to tell your mum that you don't feel that you can be there physically to support her but that you admire her for standing up for what she things is right but that you also have to stand up for what you think is right as well.

That you go and support your mum does not mean that you agree with what she says, just that you are lending her moral support at a time when she needs it. You might need her moral support one day. The implication that you agree with her is obvious but you can make it clear to your mother your stand on this subject and as for what other people think... WHO CARES! You don't know these people, they don't know you. If they judge you without knowing you then they are not really worth bothering with.

I probalby haven't helped you much but that is what I think on the subject. Good luck with working this one out (*hug*)

3. damagedone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can appreciate the situation as it would be very uncomfotable, hell I don't like going to church full stop due to my atheism but you should go to support yr mother. Put aside yr feelings for the ignorant assholes that make up the congregation, drown them out. They will never change you and you will never change them.
    Try to look at the situation almost clinically. Think of the church as just another building and try not to write off everyone who attends however, as people can surprise you

Good luck let me know how it works out
    RFB

4. Micah

She's your mum, and sometimes supporting your friends and family means doing things that you don't necessarily find comfortable.

Yes the church may be opposed to gays, but you're not there to support the church, you're there to support your mum who has decided she wants to more actively pursue religion.

5. Tim

Tim

Thanks for the responses :slight_smile: If one of my sisters goes, or someone I consider family, I'll go, but I don't think I can stand being alone surrounded by people I know don't agree with me without someone I know with me. Though, I'm pretty sure one of my sisters is gonna go, if not them, our family friends will.

6. Jim1454

I agree. What I would add is that obviously your mom thinks enough of you that she wants you to be there for her, despite what some of her fellow members might think of your orientation. Being a good son - supportive and respectful - can only improve their perception of gays. Think of it that way.

7. panda

I agree with the above. It'd be wonderful for your Mom to look out and see you there in the congregation.:thumbsup:

8. sexyalex

Please, it's called giving honest critisim; something most people run from. don't feel bad. It's better to be truthful than to lie to someone...even if it "offends" them. :thumbsup:

that's amazing! Good for her, hope it works out.

*scoffs* really? that dosn't seem to be the case :dry:
    initialy u do but its obvious :dry: ur scared of your mother.

To be honest, i am a religous person. however, to run from distasteful comments upon myself i don't mix "God" with "Sexuality" cuz that conversation never turns out good and u all know how persistent i am. (i'm a law student. comes naturaly)
    My opinion, don't do it. stand ur ground and respectfuly tell your mother u cannot support it and why. Its a bit obvious that ur mom is trying to change ur sexuality but its up to you sweety. Just be sure that your doing this for the right reasons, from the goodness of your heart. you will be speaking in a church, with atleast 10% of the congrigation taking you seriously...those people deserve honesty...

Alex.(*hug*)

9. KaraBulut

It sounds like the testimonial is what some churches call "testifying" which is a profession of faith and a story about the person's religious conversion.

I would say that you should go. Family always comes first and if your mother is sincere in inviting you, then you should attend. The same is true of weddings, funerals, bar mitzvahs, baptisms.

On the larger issue, the world is full of people who hate gays and think that gays are sinful. You can't avoid them. They believe you have something to be ashamed of. By showing up at this event, you're showing them that they are wrong and that you have no reason to be ashamed of.

10. Really really good point. The same thing happens to me. My aunt works for a church and people are always like why are you going there you hate religion and I say Im going to support family not religion. So even though it might not be the most comfortable you should probably go like others said.

11. Tim

Tim

I ended up not going... I had every intention of...

Then for the next few days leading up, and the last few days since then, (she always watches a preacher tape in the morning) she's been watching nothing but some tapes about how all gays are going to hell, how they need to repent and such. That pushed me over the edge. She did it on purpose, and that was quite blatant, heck, my sisters even pointed it out, which is odd. She might be watching them to understand why I was so afraid to come out or something, but she knew it made me hurt, and not once did she explain to me why she was, nor try to talk to me.

Anyways, I feel somewhat bad I didn't go, but she shouldn't had done that, that was pushing an emotionally unstable 19 year old a bit too far -.-

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone -even your mother - starts getting passive-aggressive on you, the best bet is to NOT respond in kind. When you see/hear the anti-gay tapes running, just stick your head in the room and say "Could you save those ones for when I'm NOT around? Thanks."

Lex

13. Tim

Tim

LOL, i tried that once, while I was still in the closet... Resulted in a week of the same tape being played over and over all day -.-

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's why God invented iPods and Walkmans. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. Tim

Tim

Rofl... that would be true... but that was when CDs were new :wink:

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Next time the tape goes on, put on the headphones, and leave them on until the tape ends. :slight_smile:

Lex

17. Trumpetplyer23

Here's my advice. Tell your mother that you'd like to go to another church, there are churches out there that are not homophobic. This is good for both of you, in your mother's eyes, she's seeing you wanting to be religious, and you don't have to put up with the homophobic slander.

If she doesn't want to go to another church, then bring your i-Pod or whatever you want to bring.

18. Beebo

dude I totally know what you mean... were you a big part of your youth before? I was, and still am to an extent, I dont think my pastor likes it, but most of my friends are part of the youthgroup lol. Ya... its a really christian town... LOL. but... :grin: I hear ya man, my mom is the same. anyways, :grin: keep posting.

19. Tim

Tim

Well, I was one of the few people from the youth group to actually volunteer. My Bi friend (girl) was as well, there were like 5 of us. We would deliver lunches we prepared and such to the homeless people in Old Town (like china town, just old stuff :astonished:)

But I haven't been in a few years. Last time I was at church was for my mom's bible college graduation.

20. KaraBulut

And scissors. :grin:

Just kidding!