1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what to think.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by That Kid, May 27, 2013.

1. That Kid

Sorry for the lack of a better title; but anyway, while my stepdad (who I have not come out to yet, and may be an ignorant ass sometimes) were discussing groceries, the following dialogue took place.

Me: So should I get American cheese?
    Stepdad: American cheese is for homosexuals, get cheddar.
    Me: Well I guess that explains why I like American cheese, doesn't it?
    Stepdad: What?
    Me: You heard me, I guess I like Americ...
    Stepdad: Make sure you get some bread as well.
    *awkward silence ensues*

I'm not entirely sure if he got the point and didn't want to discuss it (typical him) or if he just didn't get what I said. Either way, how do I deal with a person like him? I've already told a handful of people in the family already and they're all really supportive.

I also tend to get a vibe from some other people I've come out to that they forgot. Especially younger relatives who still continue to say things like 'that's so gay' or 'wow what a faggot' Could it just be they really don't know better?

2. King

King Guest

I'm not sure I know what you mean by saying "a person like him". Is he homophobic? Or are you referring to thinking he just didn't want to discuss it? You could always come out to him, if it isn't a big deal to you (and the way you handled it in the first place makes it seem like it isn't). If he doesn't want to discuss it, then there's no need to.

They might say it without thinking, not because they forgot that you're gay. My two older brothers say it all the time in front of me... They know I'm gay and they're both accepting. They just don't think about it.