1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Starlight, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Starlight

Starlight Guest

I’ve looked over a few of the threads round here but I figured it would make me feel better to actually write this all down.

Over a year ago now I was going out with a guy, Mark, and while for a lot of the time we were happy but there would be constant arguments between us. The majority of these arguments revolved around me still saying I was bisexual even though I was with him, I guess on some level Mark figured that us being together mean that I had decided I was gay. In the end I guess I couldn’t take the arguing anymore and broke it off with him, a few weeks later after no contact I found out from a friend that Mark had moved away which killed any chance that we would get back together.

Fast forward to this year and by chance I met a girl by chance, Claire, and I just felt so happy being with her up to the point a few weeks back where there was are argument between us involving our friends. Later on from that I ended up being kissed by one of my friends and I’ll admit I didn’t stop him but somehow Claire found out and I happen to be the worlds worst liar so I didn’t even bother instead I told her the truth and decided it was best to end it there.

Anyway enough of my history, since Mark there has always been this nagging voice in my head telling me I should decide because I feel that I would be happier if I could just be gay or straight rather than being in-between, I just feel so confused about it all…

Any advice would be great...

2. SkyTears

Just like the people who say being bi / gay is wrong and that you shouldn't be, I think you shouldn't have to listen to the words of others to know who you are. There isn't anyone who knows the real you besides you. Never let people tell you what or who you should be. Like someones quote I saw on here (can't remember whos) Be yourself because everyone else is already taken.

3. damagedone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    alot of gay men and women can be very militant in their approach to bisexuality and that often comes from a place of insecurity. I have been messed about by men claiming to be bisexual before and it is hurtful. However, I do not discount bisexuality as a reality and think that those who would encourage you to define yr sexuality on their terms need to be reminded of how difficult it was for them to declare their sexuality to friends and family. Tell them that being bisexual is not their business and that their persecution of you reeks of militant gay behaviour, another stereotype we dont need. Yr sexuality is just that, YR SEXUALITY and is for no-one else to decide.

RFB

4. Psychedelic Bookmarks

The state of bisexuality is fluid and therefore challenging. It is difficult to accept for many people because it is hard to pin down. But the fact is that if you are bisexual, there is nothing you can do about it. You may fluctuate between gay and straight times, but these are not under your control. For a bisexual, the choice is not between being gay, bi or straight, it is between being bi or supressing your identity.

I sometimes feel like I may be bisexual, and I gtet the same feeling wishing that I could be one of the other. But it's not a choice, I'm afraid. We are who we are. In fact, bisexuality has its plus points as well as its challenges. You have more oppurtunities, you are open to more different types of people, and your masculine and feminine sides both get their airing. I believe it contrubtes to a balanced person, the ability to relate to both sexes. And you can like who you like without any feeling that you're "betraying your label".

In the end, being bisexual is not a problem in and of itself. It's just that others/society tends to put pressures on bisexuals and make them feel bad about themselves in this way. That doesn't mean the pressures are not there, they definately are - but the way to overcome them is to develop your own self confidence, not to deny your feelings either way.

Of course, I've written all this with the assumption that you feel you are bisexual. If you're still unsure even of that, then this may not have been any help. :grin: But I hope it might encourage you a little not to feel bad about being yourself. Take pride and don't let others tell you who to be!

5. Starlight

Starlight Guest

I'm going to have to steal that, hope you don't mind :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advibe guys, its made feel better :thumbsup: