1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Le Ugh, dad doesn't believe I'm gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Joey, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    I'm almost positive about this (considering the conversation I had with him a week or two ago) but I believe that my dad doesn't believe I'm "still" gay. It was rather picture-esque, but whatever, we were talking in front of a fireplace having a drink and we got on the topic of relationships, so I told him that I was dating somebody at the moment and that his name was Tommy. So my dad, in his infinite wisdom, said "So, you still think you're gay?"
    Which is rather annoying, but it happens I guess.... since I don't exactly project the gay stereotype he thinks should be there, or that in the 9 months I've been out to my parents they haven't seen me with any other openly gay people (which is another issue in and of itself, I have no gay friends or anything)

It's just frustrating :bang:

2. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw...damn! If you tell him that you are DATING another guy and he still doesn't believe that you're gay, then I guess he really doesn't want to believe it. Denial maybe? Or maybe he's waiting for you to do something? For ex. if he saw you with your bf and saw that you're in fact really dating, maybe then he would believe you?

It's frustrating when people think you are confused when in fact you aren't, at all. But I'm sure he'll have to accept it sooner or later. (*hug*)

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should explain to him that you are sure of yourself amd not confused, and that sexuality isn't a choice. Perhaps the PFLAG pamphlets would help???

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think its time you brought Tommy home to meet your Dad. :slight_smile:

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Becky's hit the nail on the head. Or maybe it's just time you told your Dad where to stick it. You're 19, for goodness' sake. He just needs to quite with the denial.

6. Jim1454

Except for Tommy, that is! Yes - bring him home one weekend to meet the folks!

7. Joey

HERE'S THE KICKER! We broke up about 2 weeks ago because I'm always at school and never got to see him :icon_sad:

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

That certainly makes it harder on your part. What kind of denial is your dad in? IS he in aggresive denial, as in "No gay son is going to live under my roof," or guity denial, as in "What did I do wrong? I couldn't have done anything wrong," or just passive denial, as in "If I ignore it, maybe it will go away,"?

9. total mo

total mo Guest

He does seem to be in denial, or maybe he thought you were joking. that he can't see any gayness in you. Its about time to bring him home, not neccesarily make out infront of him, but do something what boyfriends do.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh no!!!

11. Joey

I imagine that he doesn't think I'm gay because, firstly I'm 6'2 230lbs (biggest in my family), am a weight-lifter and play golf... smoke cigars, drink beer and bourbon, basically almost everything he did when he was my age.
    I think that he thinks that if I am gay, that I'll be one of those "camp" fellas... speculation only though... still, irritating :bang: (I love this one)