1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out is impossible now...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KingdomKeyDK, May 28, 2013.

1. KingdomKeyDK

Today, I heard that the Boy Scouts of America enacted the law to enable GBT males to join. As soon as I heard this from my mother, I was overjoyed, but she thought otherwise.

She feels that it is wrong for homosexuals to even exist, and even worse for bisexuals, which is what I feel I am. She then went on this rant about how if I was gay that she would "guide me in the right direction." She then told me that my father is going to exclude me from the BSA.

I am sad now, because of what they think. I am starting to revert back to my old ways, and I don't want to change back. I don't want to lose my happiness. I want to help people out of depression, not suck myself into it. I am so miserable now. I don't even want to talk to my parents anymore. :frowning2:

2. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm really sorry to hear about that :frowning2: At least being bi is easier to hide. And you can come out to your friends. Try to not let it get you depressed. Just know that your parents are complete morons and it's up to you to make life decisions. Hopefully the next generation of kids won't have to go through this crap. Just be happy and have fun with life. There's no point in dwelling over the things we can't change.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry to hear this.

One thing to keep in mind: while it's probably a good idea to stay in the closet now, that won't be forever. Eventually you'll be on your own.

Coming out to good, trusted friends may be an option.

4. momof3

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

My thoughts exactly!

5. KingdomKeyDK

That's the problem. I feel that everyone I know will react the same, especially my best friend (who is a girl).

6. Hexagon

Its a terrible thing to hear, but it isn't the end of the road. Many parents who actually learn their children are gay change their minds. And there are many wonderful people who will accept you, even if your parents won't. You could take this opportunity to educate your parents. I agree that coming out might not be the best move right now, but you can still support LGBT rights. You can tell your parents that you think their views are bigoted and judgemental, and that you will join the BSA whether they like it or not.

Apart from the possibility of changing their minds, you will find standing up to your parents immensely satisfying.

7. KingdomKeyDK

Oh I am already in the BSA. They want to take me out. Thanks for your advice. I was actually thinking senior year, when I am about to go to college.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have they expressed homophobic views as well?

Because you can't assume your parents and your friends have the same opinions, especially since they're part of different generations.

9. KingdomKeyDK

No... but I guess it is worth a try. I will wait until senior year of high school

10. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you're friends are truly homophobic (just saying "that's gay" doesn't make you homophobic), than you need new friends. I would try testing your friends. Bring up the topic of gay marriage or the boy scout thing. Lead that into a conversation about what they think about gay people. Maybe use one of the openly gay guys in your school as an example (there's always at least one openly gay guy in all highschools). At this point, you should be able to figure out if your friends(s) are truly homophobic or if they just like saying "that's gay". Or maybe they're religious. Doesn't matter.
    If they are truly homophobic, I'm sorry I don't know how to express this without curse words, but F*** that "friend"! Leave that piece of S*** behind. You deserve better friends than that. If they hate who you secretly are, they hate you. And hiding from that is not healthy. Why would you want to surround yourself with people who will put you down and hate on you even if they don't know it?
    On the bright side though, chances are that your friends aren't quite as homophobic as you think.

If you need friends who are accepting, look in the art and drama classes. It's a dumb stereotype, but it's sadly yet usefully true. Even if you don't like drama or art, you'll still have fun. And let's be honest, 95% of what they teach you in highschool is worthless anyways, so might at well have fun and surround yourself with people who will accept you for you.