1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

come out by asking friends to a gay bar?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SwirlingOcean, May 29, 2013.

1. SwirlingOcean

My 30th birthday is coming up in a few weeks. I was thinking about telling some of my friends and my sister I wanna go to a gay bar for my birthday. They are all cool with "the gays." I know I should just do it. I'm just not the type of person to want to be the center of attention. I get embarrassed. What do you think?

I've always wanted to go to a gay bar but I have no one to go with. So I thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone: finally go to a gay bar (they HAVE to go its my birthday!:slight_smile: and come out. Do you think this will be too much for me. i mean the whole night will be so GAY. lol Maybe I should just tell them now, wait for the shock to dissipate and then go later when its not such a big deal? I don't know how to casually bring this up to them and that's why I thought of this way. Ideas?

BTW i think I've settled on my full on LESBIAN label. I don't think I'm bi anymore....:eek: It's been a mind fuck this past month but especially the past couple days.

2. followtherabbit

I think if you're ready to come out, do it!!
    And then after you have say why guys, lets go to a gay bar for my birthday, I just came out and I wanna have an awesome time.
    Explain to them that you don't want them to make a fuss about your coming out just support you. But that they should make a fuss about your birthday cause you're awesome :wink:

3. SwirlingOcean

Yeah I think I am ready :grin: I think I'm just gonna message them all and write it out. I communicate best that way. But I think it might be weird the next time I see them. I get so embarrassed and awkward so easy.

4. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

You could tell them by that, but they might not want to go with you. That would be awkward.

But what's stopping you from just telling them casually.

Which ever you think's the best way to tell them; go for it!

5. SwirlingOcean

Yeah I think I might wait a little bit and go for a more subdued approach. I just got really excited for a second haha. I've been going crazy today with all kinds of emotions. Right now I'm feeling kinda pissed at myself for not knowing all this time. I think I'm still in shock.

6. AAASAS

Do you really want a nerve racking experience like going to a gay bar for the first time be accompanied by people who just learnt you are gay.

It doesn't sound like the best idea for your mindset, and seems like a recipe for disaster.

Not saying everyone wouldn't be fine with it and the night wouldn't be fun, which is most likely is not the case, but based on your comfort level do you really wanna do all that at once.

If you are emotionally strong than do it, I know that scenario you just explained would cause me to have a majour anxiety attack.