1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to one friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by iknowitnow, May 29, 2013.

1. iknowitnow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, so about 2 weeks ago I came out to my flatmate at university. She was absolutely fine with it and I felt so relieved after telling her :slight_smile:

I know it's a huge step to even tell one person, but part of me just wants to go to my other friends "guys, i like girls." kind of like a plaster, just rip it off xD

I'm also struggling with the idea of how do I meet girls. I really think gaydar is a made up thing >.> (Funny story, my flatmate was talking about how she has a great "gaydar" and all i was thinking was, hmm must need some recalibrating!)

So I guess this thread is looking for any words on chilled out ways to tell my other friends AND any advice on meeting people? (especially since only one friend knows and I asked her if she'll come to a lesbian bar with me & she would but she's going home for the summer very soon :frowning2: )
    I have been to my LGBTQ society at university, but that's not having any sort of event until next year!

Hope this message made sense and you're all having lovely days! (!)

2. TheUglyBarnacle

Congratulations! :slight_smile:
    The easier way to come out to someone is by openly talking about it. Like casually dropping it in a conversation. It doesn't have to be direct either. For example, I came out to my friend's girlfriend when my friend was teasing me about my crush. I simply went along and made it clear that we weren't just joking around; that I do have a crush on a girl. She processed it and then showed her support just as subtly.
    However, when it comes to close friends that probably won't work. I've come out only through facebook to people close to me-it's too intimidating otherwise. However I don't think that's the best approach. One of its pros though is that it gives you and the other person extra time to reply or react.

3. iknowitnow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good advice, I've had opportunities to drop it into conversation but there were other people in the conversation who I didn't really want to be hearing such a personal thing (said person is very judgemental!) I'll keep an ear out for opportunities though :lol:
    I have debated using Facebook and I probably will debate using it for close friends from high school who are now elsewhere!