1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

therapist says I need to come out to my sisters

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by josh9623, May 30, 2013.

1. josh9623

so, as the title says, my therapist thinks that i need to go ahead and come out to my sisters. one lives a few hours away, and goes to one of the colleges i need to go look at so that's how i'm supposed to arrange that. however my other sister lives in new york which is a three hour flight away. i have an open invitation to visit her over the summer which i intend to take her up on and use that as a way to tell her face to face. does this sound like a good plan to you? also any ideas on how it could be brought up a little easier?

2. Adhoc

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends on your comfort level. Coming out is your choice, and it's ultimately a decision you should make. Don't feel pressured by anyone, even a therapist, if you still have doubts.

I can't speak for your position, but I'd probably guess that your therapist wants you to come out in order to help relieve stress about your own identity, and this is likely a true benefit.

If you're ready, go for the face to face meeting if you have it arranged. Remember you can always write a letter (even if you are visiting, this should be about the best medium for you to communicate and express yourself), or choose to simply wait.

As for beginning the conversation, I'd suggest asking to talk with your sister(s) about something. I wouldn't try to incorporate it into overly-casual comversation as from what I've read on EC, this doesn't tend to turn out very well. But if you have a natural 'lead-in' (e.g. discussion in same-sex issues), go for it.

Most importantly, don't feel forced to do something you don't feel secure doing. This should be about letting the people in your family and around you in life know something about you in order to liberate yourself from anxiety. If you feel uncomfortable or that it simply wouldn't be manageable, safe or appropriate to come out, it isn't necessary. But if you do, I believe many on here would agree it would be for the better.

3. josh9623

it's something that i want to do but have been unsure as to the how. My main concern is that especially with my sister in ny, I don't want to arrange the trip plan it out then chicken out at the last second and end up feeling like i wasted the oppourtunity.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't worry about chickening out. Worst case scenario, if you chicken out, the trip has other values: a chance to see your sister, a chance to visit the place she lives, and a chance to get away from your parents. The value may not necessarily be in that order, of course.

If you are really worried, you could come out before the trip via a quick message of some sort. Once she knows, it's known. And you can possibly have a real talk when visiting her.

But honestly... I think you are stronger than you think. You have survived things like that Exodus minister. Your parents' reactions. Etc.

Incidentally, I'm glad you have a therapist, and one who sounds like she's gay friendly!