1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letter on the last day of school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 143kc, May 30, 2013.

1. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have only about 2 weeks until I get out of school. My sport is over, so I don't see my coaches everyday anymore. Today was my last shot to tell my coach that I am gay, but there was a shooting right next door to my best friends house, so the school was on lockdown for nearly 2 hours, so my plan to stay after with her and talk ultimately failed. I won't be able to talk to her all next week and also possibly the week after that. I'm thinking of writing her a letter and giving it the last day of school, giving her the summer to digest the information (Im only a sophomore so I will see her next year). Does this sound like a plan for disaster or a good way to get my sexuality out of the way?

2. flight

Plan wise I think it's great. It's personal and gets to the point. However there are a few things you might want to consider.

1. Is she homophobic?
    2. On the off chance something negative happens, what do you think she will do?

Teachers are a great support system as long as you trust them. Since you have a bit of a high school career to go, it may be wise to consider what might happen.

I highly doubt you will have problems, and if you foresee none, go for it! Coming out is a fun, sometimes hilarious experience.

3. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    See, I don't think she is homophobic, so that's why Im going to go for it.

4. Fiddledeedee

As Flight said, teachers can be very good. If possible, I'd actually recommend giving her the letter sooner than the last day, because...

* She can then respond before school is out so you don't have a whole summer worrying about her thoughts.
    * Talking about it could get forgotten come September and the whirlwind that is school restarting. Sounds like telling her is an important issue for you, so you do want to have discussion time together.
    * You might forget it or not see her on the last day and then there isn't another chance for months.

Whatever you do and whatever happens, may it go well for you!