1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This An Appropriate Way to Come Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PurpleRain, May 31, 2013.

1. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've been trying to think of the best way to come out to my mom about my issues, and I think I know how to do it. I've got two options at this point:

- I can make a couple of therapy appointments and come out with the help of a therapist, which would be a lot less stressful and provide me with a mediator. The downside is the awkward car ride home.

or

- I can ask her to sit down with me and help me fill out the housing application for college and I'll fill it out honestly and under the gender option check transgender. I lose a mediator that way but get a more personal situation and lose the awkward car ride home.

So which one do you guys think I should do? Because I really need to do this soon. I just want to know which one would be better.

2. Hefiel

I'd be tempted to say "Go with the mediator", but that's mostly because I don't know who you are out to, and what orientation did you make yourself public as.

3. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not out about my orientation, but that's not a problem. If anyone were to ask I'd just tell them. The problem is my gender. I'm only out about my gender to a teacher I don't see anymore and my ex who I also don't see anymore.

4. Hefiel

I didn't exactly mean it in that way. My train of thought was that if you were already "out" to your mother as Bi, Pan or anything else, coming out as Trans through the housing application for college would be, in my opinion, an "ok" way to come out. Unusual, but whatever makes you feel comfortable.

If you are not out to your mother at all, then, to me, using a mediator could somewhat help with the questions and awkwardness that could follow, and potentially avoid some discomfort or opposition while filling out the application.

This is my opinion based on not knowing how accepting your mother is, and your current status as far as being "out" both in regards to gender and sexual orientation.

5. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... For a few years they assumed I was gay if that means anything? They also thought my step-sister was a lesbian. They accept the gay community and they're perfectly fine with gay people. I just don't know about the trans* community is the problem... :frowning2:

6. Hexagon

If I were you, I'd go with the mediator. It helps, I dunno, legitimise your feelings in her eyes, if another person, particularly a professional is willing back you up.

7. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My only thing with going down the mediator path is once I go, I'll be diagnosed with GID officially and then no insurance company will cover me. Does anyone know a good insurance company that will cover a little bit more than just bottom surgery? Because I really am quite poor and need all the help I can get with transitioning. :frowning2:

8. Hefiel

Ultimately you should come out with a way that you are most comfortable with. I'd like to think that people who are accepting of homosexuality tends to be accepting towards trans as well, but they definitively will have more questions and worries associated with it, which is normal.

Since I'm the type of person who typically always plans for the worse outcomes possible (and sometimes impossible as well), out of the 2 options you mentioned, I'd go with a mediator, provided that he's knowledgeable enough about transgender individuals and the transitioning process so as to answer any questions raised by your mother.

If there's one near you (or even if there isn't), you should try to contact an LGBT Center nearby (whether by phone or through emails). Usually they should know the answer to those questions.

9. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! I'll look into it and head out Tuesday to find it. I get my license Monday. :grin: