1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It just all kinda hit me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KariGordon1996, May 31, 2013.

1. KariGordon1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So this year I've pretty much been comfortable with my sexuality and have been coming out to a few more people. But it all just kinda hit me that all my friends are homophobic (I go to a Christian school) and when I decide to fully come out, I'll lose everyone I care about and have been close friends with. And that my parents will probably disown me when I come out. I know everyone deals with this but it's never hit me before on how hard this will be.. Any advice on dealing with this...?

2. The Dude

I really don't have much advice, however people will surprise you. I have a very homophobic friend. He's in a tight group with me of about five friends. Anyway, I told the other three of them but not him. Months went by, but eventually he figured it out (idk if someone told him or if he just put pieces together). He asked me one day and I just smiled at him.

My friends and I talk about me being gay all the time, and he doesn't care. He's been supportive, told me if anybody bothers me he'll be there for me, and has even encouraged me to come out more.

Coming out has lost me a friend, I won't lie to you. But your real friends will stay with you. Also, two of my friends in this group go to a Catholic high school. Like I said, people will surprise you.

3. I am only out to 2 people, but I know some people I'll probably lose. It is tough.

My only advice to you is to maybe wait until the timing is better.

Best of luck.