1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straddling the Closet Door

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rakkaus, May 31, 2013.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Alright so I after I graduated college and moved back in with my parents I decided I wasn't going to come out until I had focused on finding a job and getting my life in order. Having failed that, I decided it just wasn't important and too risky to come out while in this dependent situation.

But now I'm going to a local Pride event tomorrow. I'll be marching in this parade, and pictures will be taken for the local paper. And so I decided to tell my mother. I had come out to her as bisexual over a year ago, but we've never said a word about it since then.

I've never come out or anything to my stepfather, sister, father, or any other family members, and not sure if I'm ready for them to know and to deal with their questions and comments. (I definitely don't want my father to find out anything) The idea of any of them thinking I am gay still makes me feel inferior and disgusting.

I'm not sure whether I'm ready to be confronted with this issue, and whether maybe I just shouldn't go to Pride tomorrow then? I mean I guess I could just say I'm going as an ally of the LGBT community, but still this is going to raise suspicions, just last month I had gone to a rally in the state capital for LGBT rights, I had said I was just going to be supportive of civil rights and equality.

Is it possible to come out without ever actually formally coming out? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :confused: