1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out genderfluid/queer?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Stripey, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Stripey

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd love some advice from anyone that has come out genderfluid, or even trans, actually, and how they dealt with things like clothing/hair/hygiene products and friends.

Specifically, I want to start dressing according to how I feel on a certain day and I'm not sure how my friends will react, whether I should speak with them first or just make subtle changes slowly.

As I said in my intro post, my friends are pretty religious (charismatic, evangelical christian) and I've always been involved in the church.

I'm just not sure where to start.

So anything anyone has from experience would be great.

-Cal

2. akaCaitlinne

akaCaitlinne Guest

Hey Cal,
    I'm slowly coming out as genderqueer to my friends. One ignored me for 4 days and now still calls me by my birth name, but the other is very supportive. ^-^
    I don't know about religious people though. If your church is hateful/ unsupportive toward transsexuals etc., it wouldn't be a good idea to start coming out to members of the church. Maybe you first tell a friend that isn't involved in the christian stuff. But if your church is tolerant, why not?
    I'd say telling them is a better option than just strutting around in beautiful new clothes and letting them do the maths. If they have questions, they should have the oppurtunity to ask.
    Always remember: It's your life, and you can be who you want and wear what you want! :slight_smile:

3. Stripey

Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks for the response =)
    I don't think my church would be particularly tolerant, so that's something I need to think on carefully. I get what you mean about giving people a chance to ask questions.

I went out last night to a gay bar and it seemed a good opportunity to test the water with my clothes. I spoke to a couple of people there, who I don't really know that well to be honest, but are mutual friends with some friends (and people I hope to get to know better!)

It was a great night and felt very 'right', and they had some good advice on dealing with our specific friends. So I feel like it was a good first step. =)

#3 Stripey, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013