1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbow Bracelet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 143kc, Jun 1, 2013.

1. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Next year I want to come out to everyone I know... So, an idea I have (which I am stealing from my bi friend) is to get a rainbow bracelet and if people ask me about it, I tell them I wear it because I am gay. I feel like it could save me a lot of awkward conversations by me just showing people the bracelet rather than having a "coming out" speech. I want to come out as casually as possible, as in my heart, I believe my sexuality should be a non-issue which I don't have to hide. Does this sound like a good idea?

2. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Rainbow--

I don't have any experience in coming out, as I'm just now doing it at 42 and have only told a handful of people, but I love this idea. It clearly states who you are in a way that is not in a way that is in your face, and if people have questions, then they can open the conversation.

I would recommend telling the people who are close to you in person--your family and close friends. They may feel betrayed or left out if you don't.

I like this idea, too, because I'm already realizing how many conversations I'm going to have to have. Even at this early stage, it's starting to sound like a rehearsed speech. Your bracelet idea would spare you a lot of that.

I'm curious to know what others will say.

--Zoe

3. That's also what I'm planning to do on my first day college. Good luck to you though

4. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not out to anyone yet, but I plan on very soon. After I tell my mom and a few other important people, I will start wearing the bracelet. I'm thinking of getting one that says "same love", or "love" on it. By asking about why my friend wore a rainbow bracelet, she told me that she was bisexual. When everyone sees her bracelet, they get the jist that anti-gay comments would not be appreciated.

5. Xochipilli

Sounds like a good idea. There aren't many other things a rainbow bracelet could signify.
    It'd definitely save you many awkward conversations.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  7. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for showing your thread! It's funny because whenever I see someone wearing a rainbow bracelet in school, they get comments on it... Tending to regard being gay. That's why I think this idea will succeed... It's just that I am NOT at all stereotypical lesbian..

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your welcome, I wear mine every day :slight_smile:

9. Bowtiesandstuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm planning on doing that too, but I'll start by wearing it outside of school and then wear it to school. If you are a teenager it might just get confused with a friendship bracelet so get something big and bright. Tell me if it works :slight_smile:

10. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm totally going to steal this idea.

Dublin Boy--thanks for sharing your thread. I live in a very conservative part of the country and have not had any involvement in the LGBT community (until now!), and I'll be honest--I didn't know these existed.

But after seeing yours, I looked them up myself and found several I like.

Thanks all, for the great idea and for letting us know it works.

--Zoe

11. MixedNutz

12. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For my races (I'm a year-long track/ XC runner) Im thinking of getting a rainbow hairbow. I think it would be cute! Haha :slight_smile:

13. Emberblaze

Here's a good warning though: apparently, not everyone knows what the rainbow symbol stands for...

I made my own giant rainbow bangle and wore it on my arm for like a week. Only ONE person acknowledged it's existence. So finally, I thought "this isn't working!!!" then I made a badge in rainbow colors that says "GAY and PROUD!" and attached it to the shoulder of my bookbag. When everyone was shocked the next day, that's how I knew the rainbow bracelet had no effect...

14. treek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want your sexuality to be a casual, unimportant thing (an idea with which I do agree), then I don't think this is a good idea.

By wearing it, you're essentially putting a sign on yourself that says "I'm gay". While you're right that it isn't 'in your face', it's still something which you're making out to be important. It's something that you want everyone to know when they see you.

That sounds very different from wanting to keep it a non-issue.

If you want your sexuality to be no big deal, then don't make it a big deal. Don't put a sign on yourself that tells everyone you're gay. There's no need to tell people unless a related topic comes up in conversation.

15. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't wear mine for Straight People, chances are they don't know what it stands for, unless they are a Ally, I wear it to say to other LGBT, hey there, I may look & act Straight, but guess what, I Am Gay & Approachable :slight_smile:

16. wayne1983

17. Hexagon

I wore one for six weeks and no one noticed :bang: The worst part was that we were right next to an LGBT center with rainbows all over it.

18. Batman is swag

Hey,
    Good for you! Just as a point, I've been wearing several gay pride accessories for about a month and a half now (I'm wearing a Legalize Love dogtag, a rainbow bracelet, and an I <3 Boobies wrist band), and NO ONE has even given them a second glance. But if it's what you want and feel comfortable with, go for it! Best of luck to you, you're really brave for doing this! (even if you feel like the biggest chicken ever right now-like me!)

19. George

I ordered one after seeing this thread. :slight_smile: Not sure if I'm ready to wear it in public yet, but it'll be nice to have anyway.

20. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wear mine 24/7 (I have a picture of it in one of my albums). But I don't think anyone understands what it means when I wear it since people are shocked when I tell them I'm gay. >_>