1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a such thing as coming out "too early"?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChristianHipstr, Jun 1, 2013.

1. ChristianHipstr

This past month I have accepted that I am bisexual and am proud of myself for doing so but I face a problem... I'll start by saying my greatest strength as well as my greatest weakness, I am brutally honest and just. I literally never lie, I can count on my fingers the number of times I have, and keeping my own secrets eats my insides out (other peoples, as long as bound with a promise, are kept confidential).. But saying that, you can see how staying in the closet is hard for me. I know I'm bi, I know I like women as i have had girlfriends before, and I know i'm attracted to men, but have never been in a relationship and really want to. <-- Another reason I want to come out to my family, I would like an open relationship if I do date a guy. Now, to get the point of all this... I have come out to my best friend, she was extremely accepting and even told me she'd keep an eye out for any singe guys :lol:. But when I did, due to the fact that I never have been in a same sex relationship, I felt bad and disgusted with myself.. almost as if I had lied to myself. I'm positive I like men, and I've had extremely strong emotional feeling for a few (especially one in my class, but he's straight :dry:slight_smile: Am I coming out too early? Is a week or two after you accept yourself too early for this, or is it because I haven't proved to myself 100% a same sex relationship will even work? If just telling my best friend, who I knew would accept me made me feel this way, then I want to find out what's wrong before i tell my Catholic/ Eastern Orthodox family...

Please, if you have any questions or need any more information to give your best answer just ask.

2. RainbowMan

To be honest, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought we were talking about age, not how soon after self-acceptance.

I've accepted myself, and I'm out to some people, however not nearly everyone. I finally accepted my orientation 7 months ago, if that's telling you how long it's taking me :slight_smile:

That being said, I think that the experience is unique for everybody. If you're in a position where you can come out to everybody quickly, and that's not too much of an emotional drain on you, then I'd say go for it.

However, your orientation says "questioning" - I'm not sure if that's old, or if you really still are questioning. If so, I'd hold off on announcing anything in concrete terms, but it's perfectly valid to tell people that you're questioning and that you might not be straight (or you know you're not, and are unsure of where on the spectrum that you fall).

Hope that helped!

3. ChristianHipstr

Yes, it was old. And thank you for reminding me to change it :lol:. Also, it did help some. I understand what your saying about the emotional toll, and the thought of being openly bisexual doesn't make me feel bad, nor does the thought of being in a public relationship with another guy. If I could just find out why I feel so bad about coming out I'd tell the world, or even announce it on the news for all I care...