1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After coming out, what's next?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GeorgieBoy, Jun 2, 2013.

1. GeorgieBoy

So I finally came out to a couple of people who I've wanted to tell that I'm gay for a while. Before, it was only my best friend who knew, and he's been really supportive as I've tried to tell more people. I wouldn't be here without him, as he's supported me through all of this and helped me find the courage to tell others. And before you get any ideas, he has a girlfriend :wink:.

So the next person I told was my sister, who I am very close to. I've wanted to tell her since I first started to think I might be gay, but I wanted to wait until I was positive. I was mainly worried that she would feel hurt that I didn't tell her straight away, which is why I ended up putting it off for even longer. But after spending the day with her, and almost telling her about five times, I finally told her when we got home, and it felt like a huge weight had been lifted! (!) It's good to have someone in my own family to talk. And it's much easier to talk to my sister about things like boys and relationships, as she has a lot of advice to give. And sometimes, it feels good just to talk. :slight_smile:

The next person I told was my other close friend, who I've had a crush on for a while. I ended up telling him over Facebook as he doesn't live near me, and it's difficult to see him one-on-one. I apologized for telling him that way, but he seemed to understand. He was really supportive and positive about it, but we haven't actually talked about it face-to-face yet, which I think I should do at some point. I want to thank him for being such a great friend, but a part of me also wants to tell him that I like him more as a friend. Either way, I just want to let him know I'm grateful. (*hug*)

So far, it's been great to tell more people, and everyone has been pretty easy to talk to (though I always manage to struggle actually spitting the words out). I do want to tell more of my friends, but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing it. Telling them in person seems pretty daunting for me and them, especially considering I don't usually talk about such personal things. But I also don't want my friends to feel hurt if I don't tell them. Would it be okay to tell them over Facebook or something similar? I just don't want them to feel uncomfortable...

Also, I want to be honest with my other friend (the third person I told). I want to tell him that I have feelings for him. I can't tell whether he's straight or gay or if he's even sure yet, I just want to be honest, and even if I don't get the response I want, at least I'll be able to move on. Sure, I risk losing a friend, but if I don't have a shot with him, I'd rather know now instead of wasting my time and getting hurt even more.

Well, if you've made it this far, then congratulations! Hopefully, this has encouraged people who are still in the closet to talk to somebody because it really helps! So thanks for reading, and if you could help in any way, then I'm always looking for some advice. Thanks :smilewave