1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone relate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Martjain, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Martjain

Thing is, I feel I can come out to my brother (he's 26 yo and we have a very good relationship) without fear of not being accepted. Now the problem is that I wouldn't feel comfortable with him knowing because we share room. I don't know why, but if we didn't share room, I'd have no problem in telling him. :bang:
    Maybe this is cause he can see me naked and I can see him naked and he might think I can check him out?
    That's my best guess, but other than that I'm clueless. Hopefully he'll be moving out around November or so.
    Does anyone relate to this? Or why do you think I'd feel uncomfortable?
    :help:

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you feel uncomfortable because of exactly what you described - you share a room and you would be disrobing in there.

This sort of thing can happen in college dormitories set up in double occupancy where two people of the same sex share a room. If nothing is said, things hum along. If something is said, one doesn't know how the disrobing part of sharing the space will go in terms of both parties being comfortable.

As an aside, it's interesting how common bathrooms on dormitory floors have changed. It used to be an open gang shower. The trend is now toward individual shower stalls, with a small ledge and a curtain which can be drawn.

3. SwirlingOcean

Yes, I can definitely see how it would make you uncomfortable. Coming out puts a lot of emphasis on sex. That's what it makes people think of. You don't really want your siblings to think about you in that way and sharing a room makes it really awkward. For me it would anyway. And that could definitely put a strain on your relationship.

I know it sucks but, if it was me I'd wait to tell him until you don't share a room anymore just to make sure you both feel comfortable.

4. Martjain

Thanks both of you, I just needed to confirm that I'm not crazy and hallucinating.

5. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to think my sister would be unaccepting of my sexuality. But she found out, and to be honest, she was more hurt because I didn't tell her. We're twins and we've always been so close. But my sexuality was and always will be my biggest secret.

She completely accepts me now and even knows what type of women I like (tall, assertive, sporty). She'll give me this look when we get around certain women and I'll be like, "Mhm...", lmao. XD

If you two are very close, then he will most likely understand and accept you. If he doesn't, then give him time. If his relationship with you matters to him at all, then he will find it in his heart to understand how you feel.

Yes, I can definitely see where you're coming from. A lot of people tend to assume that just because someone is gay, then they must be attracted to everyone of the same sex. But I highly doubt he will think you're checking him out. If he does, then remind him that you have morals and you're not into insest.

#5 Anthemic, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013