1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my relatives about my orientation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by avif, Jun 3, 2013.

1. avif

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello.

So, I came across this site and I feel like you guys can help me with something and share your opinions with me. At least through internet...

Well, I am a guy, 18 years old and... still in closet. But let's get to the point.
    I want to tell my relatives about my orientation. I wanted to do that for a very long time.
    I live with my grandparents and I am very close with my godparents and my mom.
    I am always waiting for some kind of celebration or holiday, when my family gets together, so I can tell everyone about my orientation at the same time, because my mom lives in another city and my godparents too and I do not want to "come out" three times. But the thing is, when my family gets together and they ask me about a girlfriend and stuff, I am always like "I still do not have a girlfriend, blahblahblah" but I cannot force myself to actually say that one thing. My brain is like "what would they say, they would not accept me, they would laugh or wouldn't understand or they wouldn't take it seriously" etc. so I end up saying nothing. And then I am really mad at myself.
    So I was wondering... what if I would sent my grandparents, godparents and mom an email about myself instead of waiting for that "celebration" and ending up saying nothing. I know it is kind of impersonal and cold, but I feel like I will never ever force myself to say "I am gay" out loud in front of them.
    I want to ask you if you have some kind of experience about telling your parents/family about yourself not in person, but through email, phone or letter. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

By the way, I am an university student, I live in another city, so I am not really in touch with my relatives that much, only through phone.
    (also, I am sorry for my grammar and stuff, english is not my first language :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

2. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If I were in your positioning wouldn't do it by email I might call them so there is a little more personal interaction between you and your family but that's just what I'd do it may or may not be the best way to do it but that's how I would

3. avif

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That is not a bad idea... I was thinking about calling them, but the thing is, I would have to do it three times and I find it kind of uncomfortable for me...