1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Work Thing...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CrimsonThunder, Apr 20, 2008.

1. CrimsonThunder

Ok so I work at a fast food store, and what do you expect the age of workers to be there? 15-18. And being the friendly person I am I've made friends with quite a few of them. (I'm not going to be a sad fuck at work with no work buddies) So I got two friends there that are 16 and the boss has told one of them to watch out because I might manipulate them. WTF?! Is that not some kind of harrassment to me? Saying I'm going to rape someone!

This has got me extremely pissed off and he says that she will probably talk to me about it next time I work, and I can tell you now if she does I will go to the union about it because that is the most offensive thing I have ever heard!

2. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Ahhh, the mindset of most hetero people. All gay (Bi in your case) people are pedophiles.

Not sure if the union can do anything about it tho.

Flipside, a lady who works in a jobnetwork place told me of a convicted pedophile 'befriending' a 16yo boy during a training course.
    Needless to say that was stopped pretty quickly.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree. Your boss has made an unreasonable and incorrect assumption about your behavour based solely on your sexuality. Would she do that if you were straight and making friends with 16-18 year old female employees? I doubt it. So she has no reason to do that with you being gay either.

When she talks to you, you should make that point directly. "If I was straight and they were female, would you be saying this?" If she says no or cannot answer then tell her that she has no right, legally or morally, to say that to a gay employee in that position.

If she won't change her position then do go to the union. If it is part of a chain then go to her manager or head office too. It is discrimination based on your sexuality which is unacceptable, probably prohibited by the company rules, and probably illegal there too.

You should research the company position and the legal situation before taking it further though, so you don't make an idiot of yourself. It's also good to go in quoting specific company rules and laws.

4. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Definantly discrimination, but i have little faith in unions here. Although i've never heard of an orientation based issue before.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I added an extra paragraph just after which didn't get in your quote, suggesting he check the legal etc position first.

I don't know what unions there are like but in the UK they are fairly useless. Certainly the shopworkers one that Markie is a member of is. He has had more luck taking issues through the company procedures than through the union.

6. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Yeah there basically useless, although were just changing from one system back to the union system.

I had an issue with a written warning for taking a day off (i'm casual, and i booked the time off in advance, but was made to work it due to short staff). I obviously didn't go in, and was given a written warning. The union basically said keep yo0ur mouth shut or they can just find a reason that you wont be needed anymore, thus losing my job.

7. CrimsonThunder

I'm with the SDA. From what they've told me when I joined if there is any trouble at work, call them and they will fix it straight away.

My friend told me what the person said to him, saying I might try to get him drunk, I might try to "go down a dark alley" with him (her words for anal sex...), she also asked him if I had sex with him which is totally an un-acceptable thing to ask at work.

This is the first thing I've ever heard about myself that has made me sick to my stomach. This has also pissed off both my friends, but they are sticking by my side because they know I wont try to do anything.

Also, the legal age for sex for guys in SA is 16, so even if I did I wouldn't be breaking any laws.

8. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

might want to check that, for a guy + guy :wink:

9. CrimsonThunder

I dont know where to check that...

I looked at the SDA website and its Discrimination and Sexual Harrassment.

10. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Whilst it was completely inappropriate, i'm worried as to how things will go being, a mangers word against a 16yo's word.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It can be an issue if you are in a position of responsibility above them. There are some caveats in the UK laws regarding that (which would make it illegal for a teacher or whatever to have sex with a 16 year old pupil for example). I don't know how that would apply if you were their supervisor, or if similar laws apply there.

Nevertheless, it was still inappropriate of your manager to do that. The main issue is how you get it sorted out the most effectively. There is the issue that they could find a reason for no longer wanting you if you make a fuss....

12. CrimsonThunder

They could do that if they wanted to and I'd go to the union again.

Anyway, I've applied for a new job elsewhere, and so has the two other people involved. :slight_smile:

13. Louise

Unfortunately you are being subjected to one of the nastier, sneakier facets of homophobia, the side that every parent hopes their child will not be subjected to... whatever age that child might be!

I am sorry that you are having to go through this. It is good that you have a union that will back you up and help you it is just sad that you need to have recourse to them and that your boss can even think like that! He must be one very sad sack of a man!

I'm not saying give in but you are probably better off getting another job if you can because even if your union does help you, even if you are right this ***hole isn't going to change, he will always have this attitude towards you and talk behind your back and this doesn't make for a harmonious working environement.

14. CrimsonThunder

lol Louise, its a woman. ;P And I don't feel like I'm "giving in" because, heck its a workplace they need workers! If anything I'm letting them down by leaving. :grin: Their fault, not mine.

Thanks everyone for being here for me. :slight_smile: If anything happens I'll post here. (I don't actually work for a few days though - Nothing might even come of it, if they don't bring it up I'm not going to bring it up I'll just leave)

15. Louise

My bad! Sorry I just assumed that your boss was a guy... don't know why since I am a boss myself! Damn these hypocritical double standards !