1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out as trans*

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by earthlvr510, Jun 4, 2013.

1. earthlvr510

So just a little background I identify as androgynous and possibly male but I prefer male pronouns. Im currently at an internship and want to come out to the people here. Ive only come out to some of my friends so far and have no experience telling people I dont know well. Im pretty sure that they will all be fine with it, everyone is extremely accepting and open minded but im just not sure how to go about it. Its a very small group of people; two people who run the house, a couple other volunteers and other people that are in and out, and three other interns. Everyone is pretty close as we all live and work together. The last time i was here they asked what pronouns people prefered (i identified as female at that point) and that was what i was assuming would happen this time but no such luck. Now that i need to bring it up myself im not sure how. Should i talk to the person who runs the house first, or just tell anyone who asks? I was going to just correct people as i went along but ive been here for three days and ive only been refered to as "she" once and it wasnt a good time at all to jump in a say something. Any thoughts? Part of it is that im wicked nervous about telling people. Ive only come out to a couple of friends and my therapist so far so this is pretty uncharted territory for me. Just FYI theres no internet where im living so it might take a few days for me to respond to anything. Thanks!

2. Hexagon

Damn. When I came out as trans, I moved to another country. I really have no experience in how to do it among people who you plan on talking to again.

3. RainDreamer

I think a good way to do about it is to talk to the top person first, since that person will be in a position to help you with more power and may relay the message to everyone if needed if you feel uncomfortable telling everyone one by one. Since they seems to be quite open minded, I don't think it would be disruptive or awkward. Just be honest about your nervousness.