1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

conservative parents and young siblings

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chrisV, Jun 6, 2013.

1. chrisV

i'm 15, and i have accepted the fact that i'm gay for 6 months now. i am fine with it, but it's really been wearing down on me. i just can't stop thinking about how my parents will react. they're really conservative, (but not very religious). my dad makes gay jokes a lot. my mom has 2 gay siblings, but still talks about how she doesn't approve of gay marriage. i also have an older brother and 2 younger brothers. i know my older brother will support me, (he's one of my best friends) but it's going to be different with my younger brothers. the youngest one is 8, so he probably won't even know (and even if he does, he won't understand.) but my 12 year old brother is a different story. he's a total ***hole, he often uses the word gay to insult other kids he knows. i really don't care about how he reacts, because he's an ass, and i have no respect for him. he might make problems for me though (he won't shut up about it tell everybody i know, and probably avoid me at all costs).

mostly though it's my parents. i sometimes think about telling them, but every time i do, i think about the obvious disappointment that will be on their faces. i know i can't go much longer like this, lying to my parents, and not being able to be myself, but i can't tell them face to face, it'll be too hard.

i really need to do something fast though. i've been depressed lately, i've lost 10 lbs from not eating (i've had problems with depression before, and i don't eat when it's bad enough) and my friends have noticed i've been different. they comment on how i always used to laugh, and talk alot, and how i've been so quiet lately. i just need help, and i need to come out fast, because the only few people who i am comfortable telling will be off to college in a few months, and i want that safety net.

2. derrik

Chris

First things first - take care of your self

Your parents are grown up and can cope with it - hopefully
    Even if they have problems - its their problem

Brainstorm with your older brother the best steps to take

Your family may surprise you by how supportive they end up being

3. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in a similar situation but I have an older sister and no younger siblings but I want to tell her cus shed be supportive and my parents but I think my dad would disown me and my mom would cry

4. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can't offer much advice, because I'm in a similar situation, but I'll tell you this: Take good care of yourself. You are worth it no matter what. You are an amazing person. You should make sure that you love who you are.

Hope that helped!:smilewave