1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly coming out this weekend, logistics help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Uchiha, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Uchiha

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been coming to terms with my sexuality over the past two years and I've been dating a guy now for a little over six months. My family (parents, older brother and his wife) lives a state away and are coming in for the ordination of my brother's childhood friend to the Catholic priesthood (of all things...). My birthday is on Thursday of next week and I really want to be out as a 23 year old, the thought of waiting any longer is starting to irk me. The thing is I want to tell them in person but I'm not sure how to approach it. I'll be with them on Sunday mostly after the ordination. My mom wants us to celebrate my birthday this weekend which means there won't be too many moments alone with any of my family. Should I tell them all at once? Or should I separate the couples?

My original hope was to tell my brother and his wife this Sunday and wait until Friday to celebrate my birthday with my parents and tell them then. But my mom wrenched that plan with cramming everything into this weekend, which makes sense as they do have to drive in from a state away.

Any advice would be appreciated! My family is a pretty mixed bag. My mom is accepting, my brother is reserved, his wife won't care much, and my dad is rather conservative. I don't expect any major backlash but I am unsure of how to word it. Do you just come out and say it?

2. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well if I were to go about it I would just like say something that would be as if you already told them like so I saw this one cute guy the other day or something like that

3. Goodnyte

mattjm has a good point. However, if you don't feel good doing that, you could separate by who would be accepting and who wouldn't be. Tell the ones that would hopefully support and accept you then, with their help, you could tell the other two. That could help because then you may have someone on your side to help out.

Good luck! Better advice will surely be on the way. (!)

4. Emberblaze

I don't know if you wanna do this or not, but if it were me in your shoes, I'd maybe have my bf there with me and introduce him as such, that way you won't have to go through it alone.

5. Incognito10

Can you start with your parents, now, before the rest of the family? If you're looking for advice on logistics, I think your parents would be the people to start with, then just let the rest know.

6. KnownSecret

Yeah I'd pull my parents a side and tell them first. I think it would make them feel more comfortable and then if they have questions they can ask them without everyone else hearing them, and who knows maybe they would appreciate it better because they were first to know. :wink: