1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out advice for next year?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayTeen, Jun 6, 2013.

1. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So here I am. I just finished the 9th grade and now it's summer. Until the 9th grade, I had assumed I was straight. Then I thought I was bi. Just within the past week of school did I realize I was actually gay. I haven't told anyone, but I am comfortable about it to myself. I live with my mom and stepdad, who are pretty accepting, but my dad and stepmom (who live on the other side of the country) are extremely religious and anti-gay. I would like to come out either this summer, or the begining of next school year. Does anyone have any advice or experiences?

A couple more details:
    •My school is liberal and very accepting
    •I am a part of Bot Scouts, but we have a liberal troop, too.

2. Hefiel

You should come out in a way that makes you feel comfortable. If you think you can muster up the courage and just say it in front of your mother/stepdad, go ahead. If you're not comfortable doing it this way, you could always do it over the phone, through an email or a letter left on the table, etc.

As far as telling your dad/stepmom, that's a different issue, and depending on your relationship with them (and the relationship between your biological parents), it may be best to wait longer.

3. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I can out recently at the end of this year just goi Ito 9th grade now but I'm moving so goin to have to come out again but I've been think but I don't know wether I'm bisexual or gay not straight to say the least so I know the situation sort of still haven't told my family though but you don't have to tell them soon just take your time once you tell one person it'll be easier to tell others

4. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, great advice so far! You guys are so helpful, thanks. :slight_smile:

5. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would it be better to come out to my friends over the summer, or once we get back into school?

6. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd say in school year so you have more time to prepare

7. Lewis

The only advice I can give you is make sure you're ready for all possibilities and ready to face both positive and negative outcomes. Good luck! :slight_smile:

8. Dans le placard

Your mum/stepdad seem accepting, so if you feel comfortable, I would tell them. My advice to go about with this is to break the news in a calm situation. When I told my mum, I did it after a nice, relaxing family meal where we were in good spirits. What you don't want is to tell them after a massive argument or a heated situation. Even if they are thoroughly accepting of homosexuality, the news may still be a bit of a surprise, so a calm situation is better. You could also tell some of your close friends over the summer, but also try and get in a fairly friendly, calm situation with them as well.

In any case, best of luck, and let us know how things go! :thumbsup: