1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

one step closer

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by J Schuelke, Apr 20, 2008.

1. J Schuelke

The last week has definetly taken a different turn than I thouhgt it would have. A week ago I was still having troubles finding myself and what to do, it has been tough at times. But I would have never thought things would have moved so fast. Long story short, I finally broke the ice and finally accepted that I am gay.

I was over at a friends house the other day and we were just chatting about random things. Then right out of the blue she's all like " is something bothering you, because you seem a little distant." I was kind of out of it because I still had my internal struggles on the brain. Must be women's intuition or something, but she sensed something was up. So I guess there was no point in denying it, because I needed to let someone know what was going on. So I finally broke down and told her that I was gay and that I was so worried what she would think if I told her. I should have known better because she wasn't offended at all, but rather she listened intently to what I had to say and seemed pretty accepting of it. After that the conversation just flowed and we talked out all my problems. She reassured me that I worry too much and that it doesn't matter if I am gay or not. I felt a whole lot better after that.

Which leads me to my next struggle, coming out to the rest of my friends. One friend in particular, actually. I have been friends with him all through high school, so we are pretty close. However, he is predominately straight and I don't know how he feels about gay people. So I'm a bit worried what he will think when I tell him that I am gay. I don't want to ruin a good thing, but I also feel the need to tell him. If anyone has some good advice for this situation, I would be glad to hear it.

2. InaRut

Ooohh congrats. And cute dog in the display picture. I've always wanted a huskey.

Anyways on topic, I think the best situation is to just get the topic of homosexuality in an everday conversation. That way you can see what he thinks. He might joke around about it...and if you need it to be more serious you could always say your ,"Gay friend" or "cousin" just came out and your a little dodgy about it.

:slight_smile: Good luck and Congrats.

3. Paralyzer

I'm very happy for you! That did move quite fast :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Personally, I'd have to say that you shouldn't stress over something that hasn't happened. I know it's pretty risky to tell him, as it is with everyone if you value their friendship, but from what I've learned, people can really surprise you.

Although personally I think you might be going too fast.. haha...
    I'm very happy that you've come to terms with yourself, but making too many rash decisions could really give you stress instead of alleviate it...

I don't know if that was really advice or something to consider..... but I hope it helps in some way.. haha XD Regardless, congratulations : )

4. Jim1454

Congrats on coming out to your friend. THAT was a positive response, so perhaps you can count on your guy friend's response being positive too. But at the same time, it isn't a race. There's no set timeline for coming out. So go at your own pace and do it when it feels right to you.

Good luck!