1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving and coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mattjm, Jun 7, 2013.

1. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm moving to Las Vegas in a month so excited I could dance(!)(!). However I'm going to a new school and I want to start the new school year by coming out any suggestions on how. I'm thinking make a good first impression then tell people but I'm really nervous about it

2. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi There, Matt--

I'm not sure I have a lot of advice to offer on this, but here's what I would suggest.

When you go to school, just be yourself. Make friends, hang out, etc. I would suggest not having a big "coming out" at your new school. Your sexual identity is important, but it's only one part of who you are.

Make friends just as you are, and if anyone asks, just say, "Yeah," casually, as though it's no big deal. As though they've just asked you if you like a certain movie.

By not making a big deal of it, then it just becomes one more thing people know about you.

Just a thought.

--Zoe

3. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just sort of want it out there when I move so I'm thinking just tell a person casually like its no biggy and see what happens

4. LD579

Something simple you could try would be wearing a rainbow bracelet. Perhaps not right when you start school, but a few weeks in? That's if you're comfortable with the idea, of course. What Zoe has said is correct, as well. I hope you have fun in Las Vegas =)

5. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do like the idea of a rainbow bracelet but it would have to be a subtle one I think I might just wait a bit during the year and just pass t along to a friend and just see what happens from there