1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First step

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DMack, Jun 7, 2013.

1. DMack

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I think I took the first step today in admitting to myself that I am gay. Just don't know how I will tell anyone else. It IS indeed hard to do...hell it was hard telling myself.

2. AaronMed

*hugs* That's a huge step! You should read my post here if you want an uplifting coming out story, and I'd totally be happy to answer any questions :slight_smile:.

3. DMack

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I read your post...congratulations that is too great! Glad to see your parents were completely behind you with this. That actually gave me some hope so thank you very much man :slight_smile:

4. KnownSecret

Congrats on admitting to yourself! That is a huge step! Now with the coming out part (unless you haven't 100% accepted the fact yet) just take it as slow as you want! Try and find some people that you know for sure will accept you :slight_smile: Once you come out to your first person it gets a bit easier! If you ever need anyone to talk to, I am always available :wink: I'm not that fully knowledgeable of all situations of coming out as you can see I have only came out to 2 people. But I would try and help for sure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I wish you the best of luck, and hope you have an easy experience :wink:

~Zack~

#4 KnownSecret, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  5. DMack

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thanks Zack that means a lot! Glad people here are so helpful and understanding.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi DMack,

You've just accomplished the most important step! This is huge!

I'm willing to bet that you will feel very different today...just let it sink in for a while, the coming out part can wait a little...

7. wrhla

Congratulations. Coming out to yourself is the hardest part. Once you've let go of the outdated self-image, it gets easier just to speak the truth.

8. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

This is actually really good advice. I do know of one gay guy that never really cared and came out. People would never have guessed it but he has this "either you like me or you don't attitude." Unfortunately he is the worst person to talk to about coming out advice. He will pressure you to do it and to not give a shit. Not all of us are comfortable telling the world. He is real judgmental about it. On here, I believe most of the members don't pressure you into coming out and recommend you go at your own pace and what you are most comfortable with. However, there can be LGBT individuals who get in your face about it and don't see the big deal of telling the world.

9. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great job on taking the first step. I took it yesterday, and you can see it here. :thumbsup:

10. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Guest

Congratulations DMack! Everything becomes clearer doesn't it? I always knew I wasn't straight but finally realized I was gay about a week ago. The signs that I have been ignoring my whole life suddenly replayed themselves once I actually said the words to myself.

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think coming out to yourself is the hardest step :slight_smile: Congratulations & well done :thumbsup: (!)(!)(!)(!)

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dublin Boy's right. Admitting to yourself and owning the feelings is probably one of the hardest steps. And as you're hopefully finding, talking about it here can really help.

So give yourself permission to take some time, get comfortable with it, and move at the pace that feels right. Admitting it to yourself, and then to others, is letting yourself be vulnerable, and that's actually a really healthy and positive step, because it allows you to be more in touch with your feelings, and start on the path of living authentically.

I think you'll find the next steps will get easier as you open up and love yourself for who you are. :slight_smile: