1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok to Come Out When I'm Not Sure?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ViolinGirl8, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ViolinGirl8

ViolinGirl8 Guest

Hi!

I'm not sure of what my sexual orientation is (check out my other thread here: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexua...l-lesbian-no-label-necessary.html#post1511024 to see what's going on in my head) but I've been having really strong urges to come out to some of my friends.

It's getting to the point where I'm scared that I'm going to blurt it out in the middle of a conversation sometime. The thing is, I don't really care if that many people know.

I guess my question is, is it okay to come out when I'm not sure? Will I be labeled to quickly?

Thank you! :icon_bigg

2. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Guest

Hello ViolinGirl8!

You can come out anytime you feel is right. If you are still unsure if you are gay, bi, or whatever then tell your friends that. If they are good friends they may try to help you figure it out and hopefully refrain from labeling you. One thing to keep in mind is I'm just some guy online, only you can know what's best for you. I have only ever come out to openly gay people so if you do choose to come out then you are braver than me. Good luck to you in whatever you choose.

3. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say wait until you are sure. Just this past year in school, I thought I was pretty sure that I was bi and I was ready to come out, then school ended and I now realize that I'm actually gay. I say wait until you are comfortable with who you are and you're SURE that's what you are. :thumbsup:

4. Martjain

I agree with both of them, while I wouldn't do it, cause maybe ppl label you as bi, and then you turn out gay or the other way around and ppl will still call you what you're not.
    But you know your friends and we don't only you know how they act, maybe they help you figure out, but maybe they'll sick with calling you what you're not.
    Cheers!

5. riahf

I came out to my brother and best friend before I was sure. I felt it was a huge weight off my shoulders and actually helped clear a lot of things up in my head just being to say it out loud.

I think it's up to you, it will probably require a "re-coming-out" later when you're sure, but if you're comfortable with that, then go for it!

6. I came out to my husband and then my younger brother before I figured out if I was bi or lesbian. It was good to talk to people I trust to work through my feelings. Of course, I have not told my family at all. Meh...eventually.

Also, I understand wanting to just blurt it out. I nearly did that when I went to go visit my Dad.

7. ViolinGirl8

ViolinGirl8 Guest

Thank you all so much for all of the wonderful advice. Last night, I came out to 6 of my very close friends. I told them that I wasn't sure and none of them are going to label me yet. It was wonderful and a great weight of my shoulders.

I appreciate all of your help! :icon_bigg

8. Wardrobe93

Ive had the same issue as you. Personally this doubt has made me delay. I have recently, I think, managed to accept myself as gay and i think ill be coming out soon.

Like I said ive decided to wait cus i hated the idea of changing my mind later and having to backtrack.

But I agree that you should come out when you're ready :slight_smile:

9. Amerigo

yeah i wouldn't recommend it. i know that feeling, i just want an answer, i hate this wait, this tension of not knowing how my future will pan out, we must be patient :slight_smile:.

10. wanderinggirl

i came out to friends while questioning because it was just lonely otherwise. i came out to some friends while questioning because they saw me making out with a girl on a couch at a party.

but i waited to come to my parents, because yolo yocotypo (you only come out to your parents once).

11. gayistheway77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to a few people while I was questioning; I think it's fine.

12. 2112

I'd say wait until you're sure, but if you feel like you need to come out but aren't quite sure if you're bisexual or lesbian, just say you're bisexual. Then you shouldn't really have any problems later either way.