1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell them?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Convoy, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Convoy

So I'm really wanting to come out soon, like Monday to at least some people if not everyone. It's a bit of leap but I feel it's about time, schools ending and I'm about to meet and form new friendships with others and I really don't feel like having that hanging weight over my head from not telling them upfront.

However besides that, how much should I tell them? Specifically my parents and some close friends. I've really struggled with depression and anxiety issues in the past, and I doubt being closeted is the sole root of them.

So, while I'm not all up for throwing it out at once do you think it's appropriate to reveal more of these things later on or should I just keep and handle them myself like I have always done. I just don't want to burden anyone if I can; I don't like being a hang on anyone.

So yeah any input would be appreciated.

I'm really unsure about reactions because a lot of people probably won't even see it coming, I'm not really anywhere near the typical stereotypical representation of a gay guy so it's going to be a bit odd, at least for a while. I just can't change myself to be something that I'm not.

2. jake v

I know its not what you're looking for but not one person here can tell you if its time or not to tell anyone. Its a scary thing to talk about. Start with your closest friend that you don't consider a "best friend." That worked for me and helped me refine how and what to say. You probably have at least one person you're dying to tell, if you feel ready why not try it.

Don't rush into anything you're not ready to do, but at the same time don't hide a part of yourself you want certain people to see.