1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cloud, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Cloud

I'm gay and very open about it with my friends, but not my parents. I want to tell my parents that I'm gay bu I don't know how to tell them or how they will react. I could use some advice on this please.

2. Pain

Pain Guest

You don't know how they'll react? Is there no indicator? There has to be something! Do you know their political beliefs? How they react to gay people in movies? GSM-themed news? That's the idea to most of it.

Though, if you truly have no idea, I would go with a plan!
    What I did, I planned about a month in advance, and made sure to have a back-up place to stay for that date just in case. In that month of planning, I thought very carefully what I wanted to say, and I stuck to my date, and just said it. It worked out for me, well enough.

3. Hexagon

Well, you know how your parents will react better that I do. But keep in mind that parents do usually love their kids, and often homophobic parents will come round. I'd advise sending them a letter or email. This enables you to think about what you want to say beforehand, avoid emotional outbursts and communicate eloquently. Time it so that they receive it at a time they can't contact you for a few hours so they have time to think things over. Tell them you love them in the letter, and that you hope they still see you the same way. Luck.

4. leer

when I told mum & dad I was really scared didnt know what they were going to do or say but they were both brilliant with it . mum said I left a few hints

5. GamerMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My parents were the first people I told, and to my surprise they were fine with it.