1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Am I So Scared?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alwaysdreaming, Jun 9, 2013.

1. alwaysdreaming

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, I just really want to come out to my parents. I know I'm young, but I'd just like to get it over with, ya know? And I'm pretty sure I'm bi so I don't THINK I would have to worry about realizing that I'm straight later on. But for some reason I'm really scared to come out, when I really shouldn't be at all.
    My mom is bi and had girlfriends in high school, and she has always said if me or my sister was a lesbian, bi, etc. that she would be totally fine with it and it wouldn't be a big deal.
    And my dad, I don't really know what his views are completely. I know he's not a total homophobic or anything. Besides, I hate my dad anyway, so I don't really give a f*** what he thinks about me.
    My sister? Don't even know, don't even care. If she hates me, cool.
    And my grandparents are both obsessive homophobic Catholic a**holes, but I know my family members wouldn't tell them.
    So my question is, why am I so scared? In my family, I should feel even better about it, but for some reason it's a big problem for me. Any advice? :help:

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2013 at 09:36 PM ----------

Oh and I also have an uncle who's gay if that makes a difference

2. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel! I could come out with no problem at all since my mom is not homophobic (and quite accepting) and my sister has many gay & lesbian friends, but I just can't. I don't know why..

Maybe it's because we are (at least I am) afraid that things will change and that people will see us differently, even though these people do not have any problem with homosexuality.

If you are like me and you stress a lot about the smallest changes.. than this is your answer. Just cutting my hair shorter is a BIG stress and big change for me. So coming out as lesbian after 17 years is just a bigger stress!

Things will change, maybe for the best, maybe not. But you know you'll have to do it one day or another. Just pick the right day and everything will be okay!

I'm not the best person to give advice about coming out since I am not out myself, but I am in the process of it!

Good luck, and don't give up! :slight_smile:

3. AS1989

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like the fear of rejection and the fear of change were significant reasons as to why I waited so long to come out. Even though I knew my parents would be fine with it, there was still that slight chance that they wouldn't. And I didn't want the relationship between the people important to me to change. I wanred to be sure that everything could remain the same.

What helped me overcome that fear was realizing a few things:
    That I'd like to include my parents in certain aspects of my life
    That trying to, in a way, live a lie was exausting at times
    That it usually takes a lot to for that unconditional love to just go away

But prob. most important, change is often unavoidable. And That I'd rather my parents find out from me.

4. Sayu

I think you should come out to your mom if you want to :slight_smile: Why not? If she told you that, I don't see any problem :slight_smile:

5. Dans le placard

Coming out is always an emotional experience, so it's only natural that you're going to feel anxious, even if you have a supportive group to come out to. Just remind yourself that the people around you are indeed probably going to react well to you, as big a surprise as it may be. Good luck with coming out when you do decide to go forward with it! :slight_smile: