1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ArlisSneakers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ArlisSneakers

Hey, it's Arlouine - I'm going to keep it simple this time. Not short, just simple.

When I started telling people I'm bisexual, I did so carefully most of the time. I chose people not by how close to them I am, but that I know them well enough that they won't care, and therefore their opinions wouldn't budge and their mouths would stay shut.

I reconnected with a girl that I met when we were about two years old - Carolyn. She's a family friend, and we re-met through a girl we both knew in middle school. We've got LOADS in common, including tastes in movies, TV, and literature. She introduced me to some of the coolest books and show I've ever beheld. Even personality-wise: we're both introverted, kind of geeky and nerdy, don't get along well with most people, and passionate about our opinions. Our political views are also very similar.

We don't go to the same high school now, so we keep in touch mostly through Facebook. I feel like I've gotten to know her better now. We got into a discussion a while back, and it involved positions on gay marriage. She basically said that she gets so annoyed with people who think that homosexuality is "an abomination" or "a choice," yada yada.

Just to be clear, I do not have a thing for Carolyn, not do I think that she's gay or bi.
    I'd like to tell her that I am, though, and I wanted to ask what you guys think about that. I don't want to make anything awkward, or make a big deal about it.

-Arli

2. wanderinggirl

Hmm... It sounds like you may like her... but that's up to you to decide. It sounds like she is somewhat liberal in her views, so coming out to her would probably go over just fine. I had a friend who "wasn't sure" how she felt about gay marriage: it's better than being blatantly against it, but she turned out to be pretty homophobic. Anyways, people can still have negative gut reactions to other people coming out, even if they support LGBTQ people in theory. But if she trusts you and you trust her, and (most importantly) you really do want to come out to her, I don't see why not.