1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living a lie

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Skymrw, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Skymrw

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I've been in the closet for a few years and I need advice for coming out. Normally coming out wouldn't be a hard task because I'm really out going... but I've convinced everyone including my family that I am straight... I'm afraid of what people would say and if they would take me seriously. My family is Catholic and I'm worried that they would not accept me... I sent a text to my mom as a test saying I was gay and she took it as a joke... I really need advice on what to do... this is killing me inside but what if people take it as a jokej

2. EscapeArtist

Sky,
    I understand your fear of being nullifed. So many times Ive had these difficult conversations with my own mother and she blatantly denies them as ingenuine or a "phase". At first it was very frustrating but I think coming to terms with yourself outshines any judgement from others. Don't get me wrong-Ive experienced much agony at the hands of homophobia but try to bathe in the liberation of simpy saying it outloud. Perhaps you should start with those who you think would be more supportive? Having a support system to fall back on can ease the initial blow. Stay strong!